Drawing from observations, interviews and other fact-finding during its visits since 1990, the CPT has gradually developed detailed standards on the treatment of women in prison.
They are described in this new factsheet, prepared by the CPT’s Secretariat.
The factsheet covers the following issues:
- Appropriate accommodation
- Equal access to activities
- Adequate hygiene and health care
- Ante-natal, post-natal and child care
- Gender-sensitive prison management, staffing and training
- Gender-sensitive personal searches
- Contact with the outside world
- Read the CPT factsheet on women in prison