During the visit, the CPT’s delegation assessed progress made in the implementation of the Committee’s recommendations following the previous visit. In this context, the delegation paid particular attention to the treatment and safeguards afforded to persons deprived of their liberty by the police and examined the conditions of detention in three prisons. In addition, it visited two psychiatric establishments and one social care home.
In the course of the visit, the delegation held consultations with Mária Kolíková, State Secretary of the Ministry of Justice, Denisa Saková, State Secretary of the Ministry of the Interior, Ivan Švejna, State Secretary of the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family, Andrea Kalavská, State Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Stanislav Špánik, State Secretary of the Ministry of Health, Peter Krajňák, State Secretary of the Ministry of Education, Milan Ivan, Director General of the Corps of Prison and Court Guards, and other senior officials from the above-mentioned Ministries.
The delegation also met Mária Patakyová, Public Defender of Rights (Ombudsman), and senior representatives of her office.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Slovak authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Marzena Ksel, 1st Vice-President of the CPT (Head of delegation)
- Djordje Alempijevic
- Inga Harutyunyan
- Marie Lukasová
- Slava Novak.
They were supported by Petr Hnátík and Almut Schröder of the Committee's Secretariat and assisted by an expert, Pétur Hauksson, psychiatrist, former Head of the Psychiatric Department at Reykjalundur Rehabilitation Centre, Iceland.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
Establishments under the Ministry of the Interior
- Banská Bystrica East District Police Department
- Banská Bystrica West District Police Department
- Bratislava Karlova Ves District Police Department
- Bratislava Regional Police Directorate
- Bratislava Staré Mesto West District Police Department
- Bratislava Trnávka District Police Department
- Hnúšťa District Police Department
- Lučenec District Police Department
- Rimavská Sobota District Police Department
- Veľký Krtíš District Police Department
- Zvolen District Police Department
- Žiar nad Hronom District Police Department
- National Criminal Agency (NAKA), Bratislava
Establishments under the Ministry of Justice
- Banská Bystrica Prison for Remand and Sentenced Prisoners (Komenského street)
- Bratislava Prison
- Leopoldov Prison
Establishments under the Ministry of Health
- Hronovce Psychiatric Hospital
- Psychiatric Ward of the Bratislava University Hospital (Hospital of St. Cyril and Metod)
Establishment under the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family
- Veľký Blh Social Care Home.