In the course of the visit, the delegation had consultations with Dzintars RASNAČS, Minister of Justice, Raivis KRONBERGS, State Secretary of the Ministry of Justice, Ilona SPURE, Head of the Prison Administration, Ints ĶUZIS, Head of the State Police, and Ieva JAUNZEME, State Secretary of the Ministry of Welfare, as well as with senior officials from the Ministries of Justice, the Interior, Health and Welfare. Discussions were also held with Juris JANSONS, Ombudsman of Latvia, and representatives of NGOs active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Latvian authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- George TUGUSHI, Head of delegation
- Marzena KSEL, 1st Vice-President of the CPT
- Inga HARUTYUNYAN
- Nico HIRSCH
- Alexander MINCHEV
- Therese Maria RYTTER.
They were supported by Michael NEURAUTER (Head of Division) and Elvin ALIYEV of the CPT’s Secretariat and assisted by an expert, Pétur HAUKSSON, former Head of the Psychiatric Department at Reykjalundur Rehabilitation Centre (Iceland).
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Detention Facility of the Central Public Order Police, Riga
- Aizkraukle Police Station
- Cesis Police Station
- Daugavpils Police Station
- Gulbene Police Station
- Gulbene Municipal Police Station
- Limbazi Police Station
- Valmiera Police Station
- Cesis Correctional Institution for Juveniles
- Daugavgriva Prison
- Jelgava Prison
- Riga Central Prison
- Olaine Prison Hospital (psychiatric unit)
Psychiatric/social welfare establishments
- Strenči Psychiatric Hospital
- Litene Social Care Institution.