The main objective of the visit was to examine the treatment and conditions of detention of persons deprived of their liberty under immigration and asylum law.
In the course of the visit, the delegation held consultations with senior officials of the Ministry of the Interior and of the Ministry of Solidarity and Health.
In addition, the delegation held meetings with Adeline Hazan, General Controller of Places of Deprivation of Liberty, and Jacques Toubon, Defender of Rights, as well as with members of associations and non-governmental organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary findings to the French authorities during a meeting with Laurent Nuñez, Secretary of State to the Minister of the Interior.
The visit was carried out by Hans Wolff (Head of delegation), Nico Hirsch, Philippe Mary and Therese Rytter, members of the Committee. They were supported by Régis Brillat, Executive Secretary, Aurélie Pasquier and Muriel Iseli of the CPT’s Secretariat, and assisted by three experts: Hindpal Singh Bhui, Team Leader (immigration detention) at HM Inspectorate of Prisons (United Kingdom), Didier Delessert, Chief Doctor of the Prison Medical Service of Valais Hospital (Switzerland), and Vincent Sybertz, Director of the Findel Administrative Detention Centre (Luxembourg).
The delegation visited the following places:
- Coquelles Administrative Detention Centre
- Marseille Le Canet Administrative Detention Centre
- Mesnil-Amelot n° 2 Administrative Detention Centre
- Mesnil-Amelot n° 3 Administrative Detention Centre
- Choisy-le-Roi administrative detention premises
- Waiting zone at Marseille Airport
- Waiting zone at Paris Orly Airport (South Terminal, excluding the accommodation rooms at Ibis hotel)
- Waiting zone at Paris Roissy Charles de Gaulle Airport (Terminals 1, 2A and 2E, and waiting zone ZAPI 3)
- Coquelles Police Headquarters
- Menton Border Police premises.