The main objective of the visit was to review the implementation of recommendations made after previous CPT visits concerning the treatment of persons deprived of their liberty in psychiatric hospitals and social care homes.
The delegation held consultations with Oktay SHIRALIYEV, Minister of Health, and Salim MÜSLÜMOV, Minister of Labour and Social Protection, as well as with other senior officials from these ministries.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Azerbaijani authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Mykola GNATOVSKYY (Ukrainian), 2nd Vice-President of the CPT, Head of delegation
- Vytautas RAŠKAUSKAS (Lithuanian),
- Olivera VULIĆ (Montenegrin).
They were supported by Fabrice KELLENS, Deputy Executive Secretary of the CPT, and Isabelle SERVOZ-GALLUCCI from the CPT’s Secretariat, and assisted by Clive MEUX, forensic psychiatrist, Oxford, United Kingdom.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
Establishments under the authority of the Ministry of Health
- Psychiatric hospital, Ganja
- Salyan interregional psychiatric hospital, Şorsulu
Establishments under the authority of the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection
- Göygöl Psychoneurological Boarding Home No. 8, Qırıqlı
- Psychoneurological Boarding Home No. 1, Şamaxı