The visit provided an opportunity to assess the extent to which the recommendations made after previous CPT visits have been implemented. Particular attention was paid to the treatment of persons in police custody, foreign nationals detained in Border Guard establishments, remand and sentenced prisoners, juvenile offenders and civil and forensic psychiatric patients.
In the course of the visit, the delegation met Łukasz Piebiak, Undersecretary of State at the Ministry of Justice, Zbigniew Król, Undersecretary of State at the Ministry of Health, as well as other senior officials from the above-mentioned Ministries, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Administration, the Main Police Command, the Main Border Guard Command, the Prison Service and the State Prosecutor’s Office. Meetings were also held with Krzysztof Olkowicz , Deputy Commissioner for Human Rights (Ombudsman) and staff of the National Prevention Mechanism, as well as with non-governmental and International Organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Polish authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following CPT members:
- Mykola Gnatovskyy, President of the CPT (Head of delegation)
- María José Garcia-Galan San Miguel
- Marie Lukasová
- Davor Strinović
- George Tugushi.
They were supported by Borys Wódz (Head of Division), Dalia Žukauskienė and Natacha De Roeck of the Committee's Secretariat, and assisted by an expert Andres Lehtmets, Head of the Centre of Psychiatry, West Tallinn Central Hospital, Estonia.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- City Police Command, ul. Generała Józefa Bema 4, Białystok
- Police establishment for children, ul. Generała Józefa Bema 4, Białystok
- City Police Command, ul. Doktora Rostka 14, Bytom
- City Police Command, ul. Powstańców Warszawy 12, Gliwice
- District Police Command, ul. 3-go Maja 17, Gostynin
- City Police Command, ul. Leona Powolnego 1, Opole
- District Police Command, ul. Marszałka Piłsudskiego 3, Strzelce Opolskie
- Metropolitan Police Command, ul. Nowolipie 2, Warsaw
- District Police Command, Warsaw IV, ul. Żytnia 36, Warsaw
- District Police Command, Warsaw V, ul. Żeromskiego 7, Warsaw
- District Police Command, Warsaw VI, ul. Jagiellońska 51, Warsaw
- District Police Command, Warsaw VII, ul. Umińskiego 22, Warsaw
- City Police Command, ul. 1-go Maja 10, Zabrze
Border Guard establishments
- Guarded Centre for Foreigners in Białystok
- Guarded Centre for Foreigners in Lesznowola
- Białystok Remand Prison
- Gliwice Remand Prison
- Prison No. 2 in Strzelce Opolskie
- Warsaw-Białołȩka Remand Prison
- Warsaw-Służewiec Remand Prison
Juvenile correctional facilities
- Juvenile Correctional Facility in Białystok
- Regional Centre for Forensic Psychiatry, Gostynin
- National Centre for Prevention of Dissocial Behaviour, Gostynin
- Toszek Psychiatric Hospital.