Specific projects in Albania
- Strengthening Local Government Structures in Albania – Phases I-II-III
From January 2010 until December 2019, a series of projects implemented by the Centre of Expertise for Good Governance and funded by Swiss Development Cooperation have supported the public administration reform process in Albania and helped the country in the transition towards a more efficient and accountable public administration and decentralised territorial administration.
Council of Europe assistance has helped shape the legal framework for local self-government, establish the basis for inter-municipal cooperation, and contribute to the policy debate on territorial and public administration reform.
The projects have also helped develop tools, standards and indicators on modern human resources practices, strengthened the role of the Albanian School of Public Administration (ASPA) in training civil servants, built leadership capacities at local and central government level, and contributed to the establishment of the Consultative Council as a platform for exchange and dialogue between central and local authorities.
Project support in Phase III culminated in the launch in April 2019 of a standardised, interoperable online Public Administration Platform. The platform serves as a single point of access to all public administration institutions both central and local and has marked a transformation in the way human resources are managed in the Albanian public administration, thanks to its many functionalities.
A Council of Ministers’ decision of the Government of Albania in October 2020 has cemented the role of the platform across public administration in Albania as a key instrument for human resource management.
- Reinforcing Local and Regional Government Structures - Albania – Phase I
Implementation period: January 2010 – March 2012
- IMC Baseline report delivered insightful analysis of the challenges to promoting intermunicipal cooperation.
- National assessment of human resources at local level in Albania led to introduction of modern HRM tools in pilot municipalities
- A comprehensive report on the “State of Local Democracy in Albania” identified key priority areas for further action.
- Strengthening Local Government Structures and cooperation between local elected officials in Albania – Phase II
Implementation period: 26 September 2012 – 30 June 2017
- Legal and policy advice based on Council of Europe standards informs comprehensive territorial administrative reform and legal framework for local self-government
- Complete census of local government workforce profile and training needs collated in web based platform for public administration at local level, e-PAV
- Strengthening Local Government Structures in Albania – Phase III
Implementation period: 1 August 2017 – 31 December 2019
- Public administration platform : www.administrata.al
Ms Albana Kociu is Director of the Department of Public Administration in Albania and a member of the Council of Europe’s European Committee on Democracy and Governance (CDDG). In this presentation she explains how the Public Administration Platform has helped Albanian public officials adapt to new working conditions and speaks about the additional measures she has introduced to help improve communication channels among officials operating in a common virtual workplace.