The Action Plan sets aims to:
- Support the development of leadership and advocacy competences among Roma youth leaders and Roma youth organisations;
- Support and facilitate advocacy processes, based on the approach of “double mainstreaming” of Roma youth issues in Roma and youth policies at all levels;
- Facilitate the setting up of Roma youth organisations and their access to programmes and funding schemes that will enhance their capacity and sustainability;
- Develop the competences of those working with Roma youth to carry out human rights education through strategic national or regional training activities;
- Steer the experiences of the RYAP partners in developing coherent responses and support mechanisms regarding the concerns and aspiration ofRoma youth.
The guiding principles of the Roma Youth Action plan are:
- Participation and consultation of Roma youth and Roma youth organisations, from the local to the European level, including their involvement in policy advocacy;
- Linking Roma youth projects to the situation of Roma communities in Europe and the need for systemic changes to address discrimination;
- Integration of the principles of youth participation, intercultural dialogue, gender equality and human rights-based approaches;
- Encouraging member states to adopt policies, with the involvement of local authorities; Roma youth organisations should be considered as equal partners in those policies and their independence as NGOs should be preserved;
- Including measures for capacity-building of Roma youth leaders and organisations and support to emerging youth organisations;
- Taking stock of the policy reports of the Ad-Hoc Committee of Experts on Roma and Traveller Issues (CAHROM) and of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities;
- Using and disseminating the educational tools developed within the RYAP, namely Barabaripen, Mirrors and Right to Remember.
Read more about the activities