From 22 May to 2 June 2020, the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe will hold a series of six thematic webinars for an integrated approach to local initiatives in Ukraine. They will address thematic areas deemed crucial for the effective and sustainable implementation of local projects. Tools and practices will be presented to facilitate the engagement of all citizens in local decision-making and participatory budgeting, mainstream gender equality, and strengthen public ethics and transparency in times of crisis.
The series of webinars will gather together local elected representatives who are implementing the 13 local initiatives, as well as representatives of local administrations and civil society organisations. The online events will aim to develop a values-driven leadership, support the exchange views, experience and challenges, and formulate common best practices for the benefit of all.
- 22 May – Towards a democratic culture of citizen participation: inclusive solutions for topical challenges;
- 26 May – Public ethics and the importance of transparency in times of crisis;
- 27 May – Gender mainstreaming at local level;
- 28 May – Enhancing online communication with citizens during pandemics and beyond;
- 29 May – Leading change: a values-driven approach;
- 2 June – Monitoring and measuring change for sustainable local initiatives.
The 13 Ukrainian local authorities will conclude the implementation of local initiatives in autumn 2020, as per the joint agreements signed with the Congress in December 2019.
The local initiatives are being implemented in the framework of the project “Strengthening democracy and building trust at local level in Ukraine”, implemented by the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities within the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018 – 2021. The project aims to improve the quality of local democracy in Ukraine by strengthening institutional frameworks and by supporting local authorities and their national associations in their efforts to promote ethical decision-making and more citizen-oriented, inclusive and transparent local governance.