The Council of Europe’s youth sector has been active in Euro-Arab cooperation for nearly 20 years. The Council of Europe has supported dialogue between youth organisations and insitutions concerned with youth policy, and later has focused on capacity-building for human rights education, intercultural dialogue and development of non-formal education. In the past ten years the possibilities for cooperation were reinforced by the programme of the partnership between the European Commission and the Council of Europe in the field of Youth. See also the EU-COE partnership website.
Euro-Arab youth cooperation is carried out within the Youth for Democracy programme – expected result 3 – and under the guidelines defined by the Joint Council on Youth in 2014.
The co-operation with the League of Arab States is particularly articulated around the promotion of intercultural dialogue and youth policy co-operation. The co-operation took an important step forward with the participation of the Council of Europe in the Youth Forum of the League of Arab States in Jordan in 2008, and in Morocco in 2009. In April 2009, both institutions co-organised a training course for youth leaders at the European Youth Centre Budapest, which led to further co-operation in the framework of the Euro-Arab Youth Conference in Tunisia and Italy in 2010. Since then the two institutions have cooperated on a range of training courses and youth fora.
The list of activities held within the Euro-Arab Cooperation framework since 2008 include:
- 2008, Youth Forum of the League of Arab States in Jordan
- 2009, Youth Forum of the League of Arab States in Morocco
- 2009 a training course for youth leaders at the European Youth Centre Budapest
- 2010, Euro-Arab Youth Conference in Tunisia and Italy
- 2010-11, Long Term Training Course on Euro-Arab Youth Cooperation. The first seminar was held in Strasbourg, the closing seminar in Dubai.
- 2012, Training Course on Democratic Youth Participation, in Hammamet, Tunisia.
- 2013, Training of Trainers Course on Democratic Youth Participation, in Budapest, Hungary. 2013,
- 2013, 4th Arab-Euro Youth on Human Rights, Participation and Intercultural Dialogue Forum, Doha, Qatar.
- 2015, 5th Euro-Arab Youth Forum on Learning and Practicing Citizenship, Young people’s values and commitments to intercultural and inclusive societies., Strasbourg, France.