Council of Europe Project “Institutional support to the Communities Association of Armenia”
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Title: Financial Sustainability Consultant (local)
Estimated duration: October – December 2017
Duty station: Yerevan
Introduction and background
The Communities Association of Armenia (CAA) was established in December 1997. The main objectives of the Association are to promote the development of a system of local governance in line with the European Charter of Local Self-Government, to implement and defend the rights of its member communities, to strengthen the capacities of local elected representatives and to support and promote cooperation among communities.
The Council of Europe is implementing the project “Institutional Support to Communities Association of Armenia” with financial support of the Swiss Development Cooperation. The aim is to enhance the capacity of the CAA to become an active stakeholder in the governance system of Armenia. One of the project objectives is to enhance the financial sustainability of the Association through reviewing the financial flows of the Association and suggesting new means of fund generation.
Purpose of the consultancy
The key objective of the consultancy is to support the CAA in improving its financial sustainability.
Main tasks and responsibilities
In coordination with the project team, the following tasks should be undertaken in the framework of the consultancy:
- Review the current sources of budget generation of the CAA and conduct an assessment of its financial situation in cooperation with international financial sustainability consultant. Specifically focus on the assessment of the CAA’s current system of membership fee collection. The assessment should be conducted through meetings with the CAA leadership, staff (financial officer in particular) and members and it should be presented in a short written document.
- Contribute to development of the Financial Sustainability Strategy of the CAA through consultations with the CAA President, Executive Director, Board, staff and selected members working in close cooperation with the international financial sustainability consultant. The Strategy should include:
- Analysis of existing resources.
- A list of all items and analysis of expenditures necessary for the annual operation of the CAA and implementation of its strategic objectives for 2016-2020.
- Potential funding sources, including recommendations on:
- Improving the formula used for setting membership fees and increasing efficiency of the existing mechanisms for membership fee collection based on analysis of the Armenian legislation,
- Sources, other than the membership fees, for diversifying financial flows into the budget of the CAA, including but not limited to:
- A list of potential donors who can fund projects developed and (co)implemented by the CAA; analysis of the main types of projects (with short descriptions) which would build on the competitive advantage of the CAA and will be linked to CAA’s strategic objectives.
- Analysis and a list of all Government funding opportunities (e.g the tender for training municipal servants) relevant to CAA’s strategic objectives.
- Discuss the first draft of the financial sustainability strategy with the CAA leadership, members and project staff and finalise the Strategy.
- Maximum 7 page document with a diagnosis of the financial situation of the CAA by 10 November 2017.
- Draft financial sustainability strategy of the CAA by 31 November 2017.
- Final financial sustainability strategy of the CAA by 15 December 2017.
- Degree in Financial management.
- Solid experience (more than 5 years) in consulting organisations on financial sustainability and fundraising.
- Good knowledge and experience of working with or for associations of local authorities, especially with associations working in the contexts of limited funding opportunities.
- Excellent drafting skills; the ability to translate complex ideas and concepts into clear and concrete language.
- Ability to focus on activities/deliverables from a quality, efficiency and accuracy perspective, respecting deadlines.
- Full professional proficiency in Armenian and good command of English.
Start date: 10 October 2017
The tasks should be undertaken as per the proposed work-plan, and finished no later than 22 December 2017.
Estimated level of effort for each task
Assessment of the financial situation of the CAA
Drafting and finalizing financial sustainability Strategy of the CAA
Applications must be submitted in electronic format (Word and/ or PDF) to: email@example.com and should include:
- Up-to-date CV highlighting experience in conducting similar tasks.
E-mails should contain the following reference in the subject line: "Financial Sustainability Local Consultant".