19 Nov 2018 Lvl. 1
No state reply yet
Alert created on: 19 Nov 2018 Russian Federation
Novaya Gazeta Staff Receive Death Threats
No state reply yet
On 17 and 18 October 2018, various items of a sinister nature accompanied by threatening messages were delivered to the Moscow office of the independent daily Novaya Gazeta. These included a funeral wreath accompanied by a note reading "Denis Korotkov is a traitor of the motherland", a bouquet of carnations tied up with a mourning ribbon, and a basket containing a severed ram's head, three red carnations and a note reading "Greetings to the chief editor of Novaya Gazeta and personally to Korotkov". On 29 October, three cages containing sheep wearing vests bearing the word "Press" were also delivered to the Novaya Gazeta office. The paper's journalist Denis Korotkov believes that the threats are connected to his investigations into the St Petersburg businessman Yevgeny Prigozhin, who works as a fixer for Russian President Vladimir Putin, has links with the Russian paramilitary organisation Wagner and has been accused of funding the St Petersburg "troll factory" believed to be involved in Russian efforts to meddle in the 2016 United States elections. Korotkov told the BBC's Russian service that he knew who had sent the sinister packages to Novaya Gazeta's office, but declined to name them.
- "Novaya Gazeta" report (in Russian): "Неизвестные привезли клетки с овцами к редакции «Новой газеты"
- "Novaya Gazeta" article (in Russian): "Новые угрозы в адрес «Новой газеты»"
- BBC Russian service report (in Russian): "Автору расследования о 'ЧВК Вагнера' прислали венок с надписью 'предатель Родины'"
- Mapping Media Freedom report: "Russia/Россия: Novaya Gazeta staff receive death threats"
- CPJ report: "Russia's Novaya Gazeta is sent funeral wreath and goat's head in latest threats"