Austrian Journalist Max Zirngast Detained in Turkey
Max Zirngast, a political science student at the Middle East Technical University (ODTÜ), has been contributing to left-wing publications such as Austrian magazine re:volt, US left-wing publication Jacobin, Turkish socialist monthly Toplumsal Özgürlük. He was publishing content often critical to Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. He has been politically active in the election campaign of pro-kurdish HDP (Peoples’ Democratic Party).
- Mapping Media Freedom report: "Turkey: Austrian journalist detained in Ankara"
- IPI statement: "IPI demands charges against journalist Max Zirngast to be dropped"
- Article published by Evrensel : "Avusturyalı gazeteci serbest bırakıldı"
- Mapping Media Freedom update: "Turkey: Zirngast imprisoned pending trial"
- Mapping Media Freedom update: "Turkey: Four-day arrest warrant issued against Zirngast"
- Jacobin magazine news article : "Free Max Zirngast"
- Deutsche Welle news article : "Austrian journalist arrested in Turkey"