18 Dec 2018 Lvl. 2
Alert created on: 14 Nov 2018 n° 126/2018 Lithuania
Threats to the Independence of the Lithuanian LRT
Following the report, issued on 12 October 2018, of an ad hoc Parliamentary Commission set up in January 2018 to investigate Lithuanian National Radio and Television’s (LRT) financial and economic activities, the Lithuanian Parliament is considering legal amendments in order to regulate the governance and supervision of LRT. The establishment of this Parliamentary Commission has been contested at the Constitutional Court and the case is still pending. Some proposals currently under discussion suggest establishing an additional supervisory authority and changing the appointment of LRT Council members. According to the Lithuanian Union of Journalists, the chairman of LRT Council Liudvikas Gadeikis and the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), some of the suggested amendments will impose political control on LRT and will endanger the independence of the Lithuanian public broadcaster.
- Joint letter from ECPMF and EFJ: "Demand to guarantee the full independence of LRT"
- Statement from the European Federation of Journalists: "Lithuania: EFJ urges Parliament to guarantee LRT independence"
- Mapping Media Freedom report: "Lithuania: Ruling party's proposals raise fears over independence of public broadcaster"
- EBU Statement: "EBU concerned about proposed legal changes in LRT governance"
- Statement from Liudvikas Gadeikis, Chairman of the LRT Council: "The LRT Council on the threat for the independence of the Lithuanian National Radio and Television"
- EBU statement : "EBU calls on Lithuanian authorities to ensure LRT's independence"
- Letter by the LRT Director General
08 Jan 2019
Response of the Government of Lithuania