L’intégration des migrants adultes et l'impact que peut avoir, sur l'intégration, l'acquisition de compétences dans la/les langue(s) du pays d’accueil sont objet de débats et suscitent des initiatives politiques dans un nombre croissant d’Etats membres du Conseil de l’Europe, comme l'attestent les enquêtes menées à ce jour par le Conseil de l'Europe.
- to provide assistance to member states in developing coherent and effective policies and in reviewing existing policies in keeping with shared Council of Europe values and principles;
- to provide practical support for the effective implementation of policy;
- to encourage good practice and high quality in the provision of language courses and in assessment of language proficiency;
- to offer a platform that enables member states to reflect on policy and practice in this area.
The aim of this website is to offer a practical means of pooling and accessing useful resources. It has been developed with the help of a group of experts in various fields.
Sections available in several languages
The Language Policy Unit expresses its thanks to the ALTE members (LAMI Group) who contributed the translations of certain sections of the LIAM website, making it possible to create this multilingual version. Translations are available in the following languages: Finnish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Russian and Slovenian.
The Council of Europe has elaborated standard setting instruments and recommendations which set out the principles governing actions in the migration field. These are complemented by language policy guidelines and reference tools developed to support their effective implementation in an inclusive approach based on shared values and principles.
Language Support for adult refugees: a Council of Europe toolkit.
A website in 7 languages: www.coe.int/lang-refugees
LIAM SYMPOSIUM: the publication
The linguistic integration of adult migrants: lessons from research /
L'intégration linguistique des migrants adultes : les enseignements de la recherche
Published by De Gruyter Mouton for the Council of Europe (ISBN 978-3-11-047749-8) as the follow-up of the LIAM Symposium (Strasbourg, 30 March-1 April 2016): Programme and Abstracts of presentations
Bilingual Abstracts are available separately
Survey and Conference
- Survey 2018 on Language Policies and Language Requirements for Migrants in the Member States
- Final Report on the 3rd Survey on language policies for the integration of adult migrants (2013)
- Report of the 3rd intergovernmental conference on Quality in the Linguistic Integration of Adult Migrants (LIAM): from values to policy and practice (2013)
Extracts from Council of Europe Conventions, Recommendations and Resolutions concerning Integration of Adult Migrants and Education (1968-2017)