On December 1-2, 2021, the X International Forum on the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights was held. This event was co-organized by the Council of Europe Project “Support for Judicial Institutions and Processes to Strengthen Access to Justice in Ukraine”, OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine within the framework of the Project “Promoting Responsive Professional Judicial Education” and jointly with the Law Faculty of Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Supreme Court, and the National School of Judges of Ukraine.
The current Forum was held in a videoconference format. More than 200 participants took part in its work: Ukrainian judges and judges of the European Court of Human Rights, lawyers, academics, representatives of public authorities and non-governmental organizations, international and national experts in the field of human rights protection.
The Forum opened with a welcome address by the following representatives:
- Mr. Steen Nørlov, Head of Office, Representative of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe on the coordination of cooperation programmes of the Council of Europe;
- Ms. Karin Roelke, Senior Programme Co-ordinator, OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine;
- Mr. Stanislav Kravchenko, Head of the Criminal Cassation Court within the Supreme Court;
- Mr. Mykola Onishchuk, Rector of the National School of Judges of Ukraine;
- Mr. Serhii Riznyk, Vice Rector of Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, and
- Ms. Mariana Chicu, Head of the Unit within Division of Co-operation Programmes, Justice and Legal Co-operation Standards Department, Council of Europe.
The Forum was focused on the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights in the context of:
- access to justice and the role of the judiciary in ensuring the administration of justice and protection of human rights in accordance with the European Convention on Human Rights;
- the impact of COVID19 pandemic, including the issues of compulsory vaccination, on human rights;
- issues of gender equality and combating domestic violence in the light of ECtHR practice.
The Forum was attended by the Judges of the European Court of Human Rights:
- Ms. Ganna Yudkivska, with keynote speech: “Admissibility of evidence. Lessons learned”;
- Mr. Latif Huseynov, with keynote speech: “The right to a tribunal established by law: Recent developments in the ECtHR case-law”;
- Mr. Armen Harutyunyan, with keynote speech: “Case-law of the ECtHR on issues of assessment of public officials’ integrity”.
The leading Ukrainian academics, representatives of the Department for the Execution of Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights, the Council of Europe, lawyers of the ECHR Secretariat also made presentations at the Forum.
The Programme of the X INTERNATIONAL FORUM on the case-law of the European Сourt of Human Rights is attached: Programme
The video of the Forum can be viewed at the following link: https://youtu.be/Cgc3xJygiuE