This project aims to bring intercultural values into the heart of the classroom in the city of Parla. Run by the City Council’s Department for International & Intercultural Coexistence and implemented in 10 Secondary Schools (8 public and 2 private). It was initiated in the 2012-2013 school year, with the objectives of:
- Promotion of intercultural relations in the educational space
- Education in attitudes and values of equality, solidarity and inclusion
- Prevention attitudes of discrimination, racism and xenophobia
There are 3 sessions with each school group, employing participatory methodology:
- 1st session: mutual knowledge
- 2nd session: emotional work, empathy, prejudices
- 3rd session: rap against racism, to encourage self-esteem and prevent discrimination
A team of 4 interdisciplinary monitors (students from different faculties) work in each school and evaluates the project. Upon completion of the educational sessions, volunteers are asked to join a Network of Volunteers for Intercultural Coexistence.
The evaluation of the project by the students and coordinators was positive. One Institute with 31% immigrant students (the highest in Parla, which has an average of 20%) is also making a great effort to opened the school library to the public and cultural activities for all are organized.