On the occasion of the World NGO Day, the Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe is organising a webinar entitled “Standing up for Civil Society” on 28 February from 16:00 to 18:00 CET to pay tribute to the work of civil society that is focused on Human Rights, reconciliation and the Rule of Law. The following issues will be in the focus of the discussions:
- What needs to be done right now to support civil society in Europe?
- What are the major challenges?
- What should the Council of Europe do to promote civil society participation?
Opening Addresses by:
Gerhard ERMISCHER, President of the Conference of INGOs
Ambassador Mårten EHNBERG, Chair of the Rapporteur Group on Democracy of the Council of Europe, Permanent Representative of Sweden to the Council of Europe
Marcis SKADMANIS, Founder of the World NGO Day
Anna DOBROVOLSKAYA, Executive Director, Human Rights Centre Memorial (Russia)
Andras LEDERER, Senior Advocacy Officer, Hungarian Helsinki Committee (Hungary)
Dr. Selma ACUNER, International Relations Coordinator, Women's Coalition (Turkey)
Language of the webinar: English only (no interpretation)
LINK to participate directly through the BlueJeans Events App / If connecting on mibile devices enter event ID to join: udqcdzxr
Or follow us on: Conference of INGOs of the Council of Europe | Facebook
CLICK BELOW TO WATCH LIVE:
What is World NGO Day?
The universal concept of World NGO Day, which is celebrated on 27 February, is Celebrate, Commemorate and Collaborate – the various NGOs around the world, and the people behind them that contribute to society all year around.
World NGO Day is a global initiative aiming to:
- highlight the efforts and achievements of NGOs from all sectors,
- offer the opportunity for people to understand more clearly what NGOs are doing for society at a local, national and international level and,
- provide a platform for NGOs to discuss the issues that affect their work and share their knowledge and experience with one another.