In some countries, new laws and government decisions have blocked the ability of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to fully participate in public policy, often through restrictions on access to foreign funding. Human rights defenders have been harassed or arrested, and NGOs closed down.
The Conference of INGOs held a debate on 6 and 7 June in Room 5 of the Palais de l’Europe in Strasbourg, "Only a matter for politicians? Civil society, money and political activities" which looked at the challenges facing NGOs in a time when civil society space is shrinking. Participants outlined methods to prevent inappropriate restrictions on NGOs, which are essential contributors to political debate and to the development of new policies and laws.
CSO as a subject of Open Governence - presentation by the Romanian Ministry for Public Consultation and civil Dialogue
- Council of Europe - Commissioner for Human Rights, Annual Activity Report 2015
- Council of Europe - Parliamentary Assembly, Resolution 2096 (2016), How can inappropriate restrictions on NGO activities in Europe be prevented?
- Council of Europe, Report of the Secretary General of the Council of Europe 2016: State of Democracy, Human Rights and Rule of Law - A security imperative for Europe
- Council of Europe - The Conference of INGOs, Civil Participation in the Decision-Making Process - The Code of Good Practice (available in Russian / Ukrainian)
- Council of Europe - The Conference of INGOs, Expert Council on NGO Law, Expert Council on NGO Law, Council of Europe, Regulating political activities of Non-Governmental Organisations
- OSCE/ODIHR and Venice Commission (Council of Europe), Guidelines on Freedom of Association
- EU/CoE Programmatic Cooperation Framework, Civil Participation in Decision Making in the Eastern Partnership Countries - Part One: Laws and Policies (info)
- Civil participation in decision-making processes: An overview of standards and practices in Council of Europe member States prepared by the European Center for Not for Profit Law
- Council of Europe Budget and Programme 2016-2017