On 10 October 2017, the Conference of INGOs, in collaboration with the International Federation of Action by Christians for the Abolition of Torture (FIACAT), one of its members, is organising a debate entitled: "Return of the death penalty in Europe: genuine threat or populist fiction?", aimed at strengthening and better coordinating the fight against the threat of a return of the death penalty in Europe. The debate will include emblematic figures and civil society representatives who contributed to the abolition of capital punishment in the Member States and those who continue to fight in the Observer States, as well as families of victims of terrorist attacks. The Secretary General will make an intervention and read the joint statement he will publish on that day together with Federica Mogherini, underlining the firm opposition of both the Council of Europe and the European Union to capital punishment.
The Conference of INGOs remains convinced that the death penalty is not the solution and that the European Convention on Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (ECHR) as well as its additional Protocols 6 and 13 should be defended in all circumstances.
Debate: “Return of the death penalty in Europe: genuine threat or populist fiction?”
Date: 10 October, 09.00 – 13.00
Location: Room 2, ‘Palais de l’Europe’, Council of Europe
Video message from Sister Helen PREJEAN, founder of Ministry Against the Death Penalty and author of “Dead Man Walking: An Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty”
- Ministry Against the Death Penalty - Sister Helen Prejean
- International Federation of Action by Christians for the Abolition of Torture (FIACAT)
- World Coalition against death penalty
- Amnesty International
- Joint Declaration by the European Union and the Council of Europe on the European and World Day against the Death Penalty, 10 October 2017
- Fact Sheet on the death penalty
- European Court of Human Rights factsheet on death penalty cases
- Leaflet 'Europe against the death penalty'
- Brochure ‘Death is not justice’ (2015)
- Using Social Media to Save Lives and Change Hearts and Minds - Ministry Against the Death Penalty
- The European Day against Death Penalty file
- Spot against the death penalty
- Interview with Clive Stafford-Smith
- Video: Debate on the death penalty
- Council of Europe resources on education for democratic citizenship and human rights education: www.coe.int/education and www.coe.int/edc
- Compass - Manual on human rights education with young people