Welcome to our portal offering enhanced features for a better and more efficient on-line communication : easy share of information on the web and social media platforms, more user-friendly access to information, better ergonomy and optimisation for mobile devices.
Find complete information about our standard setting, monitoring and co-operation activities which are at the heart of the mission of the Council of Europe, as part of the new Europe and at the service of 820 million Europeans. I invite you to follow our headlines and to share them on the web and social media.
Christos Giakoumopoulos, Director general
- Date of birth: 19/07/1958
- Nationality: Greek
- Marital status: Married, father of three children
- Languages: Greek, French, English, German, Italian
Christos Giakoumopoulos was appointed Director General of Human Rights and Rule of Law of the Council of Europe on 1 August 2017.
He was previously Director of Human Rights from 2011 – 2017 and also Director of Monitoring in the same Directorate General between 2006 - 2011.
Before joining the Directorate General of Human Rights, he was General Counsel and General Director for Legal and Administrative Affairs of the Council of Europe Development Bank (Paris).
Since joining the Council of Europe, he held posts in the Registry of the European Court of Human Rights, the Venice Commission and Director in the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights, A. Gil Robles.
Speeches and interviews
- Joint event of the Council of Europe, the Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation and the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (University) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Russian Federation "Development of a new training course: Rights and obligations in sport", Moscow, 26 October 2017 [ENG]
- High-level Conference on the harmonisation of case law and judicial practice, Athens, 29 September 2017 [ENG]
- Conference « Immigration Detention of Children: Coming to a Close? », Prague, 25-26 September 2017 [ENG]:
- High-Level Conference “Binding Effect of the Judicial Decisions”, Brno, 20-21 June 2017 [ENG]
- 2017 HELP Network Conference: "HELP for Friendly Justice" Strasbourg, 19 June 2017 [ENG]
- Conference on Appeal and Individual Application to the Constitutional Court, Istanbul, 1 June 2017 [ENG]
- 54th Anniversary of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Turkey, Ankara, 25-26 April 2016 [ENG]
- Interview - Raoul Wallenberg Prize 2016, 13 January 2016 [ENG]
- Opening speech at the official launching conference project "Continued support to the criminal justice reform in Ukraine", 25 November 2015 [ENG]