Director General Christos Giakoumopoulos
Welcome to our portal offering enhanced features for a better and more efficient on-line communication : easy share of information on the web and social media platforms, more user-friendly access to information, better ergonomy and optimisation for mobile devices.
Find complete information about our standard setting, monitoring and co-operation activities which are at the heart of the mission of the Council of Europe, as part of the new Europe and at the service of 820 million Europeans. I invite you to follow our headlines and to share them on the web and social media.
Christos Giakoumopoulos, Director General
- Date of birth: 19/07/1958
- Nationality: Greek
- Marital status: Married, father of three children
- Languages: Greek, French, English, German, Italian
Christos Giakoumopoulos was appointed Director General of Human Rights and Rule of Law of the Council of Europe on 1 August 2017.
He was previously Director of Human Rights from 2011 – 2017 and also Director of Monitoring in the same Directorate General between 2006 - 2011.
Before joining the Directorate General of Human Rights, he was General Counsel and General Director for Legal and Administrative Affairs of the Council of Europe Development Bank (Paris).
Since joining the Council of Europe, he held posts in the Registry of the European Court of Human Rights, the Venice Commission and Director in the Office of the Commissioner for Human Rights, A. Gil Robles.
Speeches, interviews and articles / Discours, interviews et articles par
Please note that the speeches and articles are available in only one language, English or French.
Veuillez noter que les discours et les articles sont disponibles uniquement dans une seule langue, français ou anglais.
- Conference at the MGIMO University, "European Convention on Human Rights at 70: current challenges", 19 October 2020, Moscow
- Webinar “Family reunification for refugee and migrant children: Standards and promising practice”, 02 July 2020, Strasbourg
- Online event “Protection of human life and public health in the context of a pandemic – Effectively responding to a sanitary crisis in full respect for human rights and the principles of democracy and the rule of law", 17 June 2020, Strasbourg
- Saint Petersburg Legal Forum, “Human Rights under Quarantine”, 10 April 2020, Strasbourg
- Conférence de haut niveau Protection environnementale et droits de l’homme, 24 février 2020, Strasbourg
- 32nd Meeting of the FRA Management Board, 12-13 December 2019, Vienna
- Conference to launch the action “Supporting the Implementation and Reporting on the Action Plan on Human Rights in Turkey”, 09 December 2019, Istanbul
- International Conference on effective remedies for human rights in Turkey, 23 September 2019, Istanbul
- International Conference on “Prevention and management of conflicts of interest among judges and prosecutors and judicial safeguards in the fight against corruption - Implementation of the Council of Europe standards in Russia”, 17 April 2019, Moscow
- International Conference on Effective Alternatives to the Detention of Migrants, 04 April 2019, Strasbourg
- Welcoming address during the launching event of the project “HELP in Russia” (Phase II), 20 November 2018
- “Convention 108+: tomorrow’s common ground for data protection”, 22 June 2018 [FRA]
- 82nd meeting of the Permanent Correspondents of the Pompidou Group, 5 June 2018 [ENG]
- "Judgments of the European Court of Human Rights and Russian Law: 20 years of Dialogue and Interaction" at the Saint-Petersburg International Legal Forum, 16 May 2018 [ENG]
- "Human Rights in Sport: Issues on the Agenda" at the Saint-Petersburg International Legal Forum, 16 May 2018 [ENG]
- International Conference "Constitution in the Global Change Epoch and the Goals of Constitutional Review" at the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation, Saint Petersburg, 15 May 2018 [ENG]
- Conference “Right to a Fair Trial within Reasonable Time and the Compensation for the Violation of the Right: Jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights and National Courts”, Belgrade, 18 April 2018 (ENG]
- “FATF/OSCE/MONEYVAL workshop for judges and prosecutors: Experiences, Challenges and Best Practices”, Strasbourg, 26 March 2018 [ENG]
- Conference on the execution of the judgements of the European Court of Human Rights concerning the Transnistrian region of the Republic of Moldova, Chisinau, 19 February 2018 [ENG]
- Regional conference “Appeal in the criminal justice system: reality, trends and perspectives”, Minsk, 19 December 2017 [ENG]
- Joint event of the Council of Europe, the Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation and the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (University) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Russian Federation "Development of a new training course: Rights and obligations in sport", Moscow, 26 October 2017 [ENG]
- High-level Conference on the harmonisation of case law and judicial practice, Athens, 29 September 2017 [ENG]
- Conference "Immigration Detention of Children: Coming to a Close?", Prague, 25-26 September 2017 [ENG]:
- High-Level Conference “Binding Effect of the Judicial Decisions”, Brno, 20-21 June 2017 [ENG]
- 2017 HELP Network Conference: "HELP for Friendly Justice" Strasbourg, 19 June 2017 [ENG]
- Conference on Appeal and Individual Application to the Constitutional Court, Istanbul, 1 June 2017 [ENG]
- 54th Anniversary of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Turkey, Ankara, 25-26 April 2016 [ENG]
- Opening speech at the official launching conference project "Continued support to the criminal justice reform in Ukraine", 25 November 2015 [ENG]