The Council of Europe is organising a “Colloquium on the role of media actors in confronting terrorism” and brings together media actors and other relevant stakeholders, such as audio-visual regulatory bodies, media self-regulatory bodies, government representatives, civil society representatives and academics to look at several issues: dilemmas and challenges faced by media professionals covering terrorist acts and threats in today’s changing media environment; use of digital media and platforms and the role of internet actors; regulation/co-regulation/self-regulation responses in such difficult contexts which protect the right to freedom of expression and media freedoms and other fundamental rights.
- Background information: Colloquium on the role of media actors in confronting terrorism
- Live webcast (starting at 9.00 am)
- Interview with John Battle, Head of Compliance, Independent Television News, London
- Interview with Chris Elliott, Former Managing Editor and Readers' Editor, The Guardian
- Relevant website: Freedom of Expression