The Council of Europe supports the Safer Internet Day 2018, which is celebrated on February 6 in over 130 countries worldwide. Following the slogan "Create, connect and share respect: A better internet starts with you“, this year’s event aims to reach out to all stakeholders in order to encourage everyone to play their part in creating a better internet.
The Council of Europe has been actively engaged in contributing to this goal through setting and promoting standards, fostering discussion and strengthening commitments. Within the last year key achievements have been made in terms of pioneering publications, visible contribution to international conferences and the strengthening of co-operation with the private sector.
Recent Council of Europe key achievements in the field of internet safety:
- Participation in Internet Governance Forum 2017 (IGF)
- Partnering with leading technology companies
- Conference on roles and responsibilities of internet intermediaries
- Publication: "Terms of service and human rights: an analysis of online platform contracts"
- Publication: "Internet Literacy Handbook"
The Safer Internet Day is organised by the joint Insafe-INHOPE network, with the support of the European Commission, with funding provided by the Connecting Europe Facility programme (CEF).