The Council of Europe’s Gender Equality Division, Women Against Violence Europe Network (WAVE) and UN Women have developed a methodology with relevant advocacy resources and tools to support civil society organisations (CSOs) in promoting the values, aims and provisions of the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention).
This methodology will help CSOs in running national communication and advocacy campaigns on the Istanbul Convention, generate positive narratives and dispel myths and misinformation regarding the convention. The campaigns can be aimed either to pave the way towards the ratification of the Istanbul Convention or increase the quality of its implementation. The promotion of the Istanbul Convention in simple and plain language is expected to increase targeted groups’ awareness on women’s rights and eventually help tackle domestic violence and prevent violence against women.
In 2021, this methodology was piloted by selected CSOs with expertise and experience in work related to combatting violence against women and domestic violence in three countries: Czech Republic, Latvia, and Poland. Lessons learned and recommendations were taken into consideration in the development of the methodological package which is now available for use by CSOs in all Council of Europe member states.
The full package can be downloaded here:
- 1. Methodology to run awareness-raising campaigns
- 2. Checklist for CSOs to run awareness-raising campaigns
- 3. Factsheet “Why do we need the Istanbul Convention? Common Myths and Misconceptions”
- 4. Brochure “Why do we need the Istanbul Convention? What Changes it can bring and what measures have been adopted to comply with it”
- 5. Poster “Istanbul Convention requirement of putting the needs and rights of victims at the heart of services. What does this mean for victims?”
- 6. Infographic “Journey of a domestic violence survivor to access support services WITH the support of the Istanbul Convention and WITHOUT the support of the Istanbul Convention”
- 7. Knowledge pack (other visibility materials, documents, and examples)