Internet Governance Forum
The Council of Europe has actively supported the UN’s World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) process and its implementation ever since via the WSIS Forum and the Internet Governance Forum (IGF). On 3 June 2015, the CM adopted a Declaration on WSIS+10 review and the extension of the IGF mandate which reasserts the importance of multi-stakeholder dialogue on Internet governance in order to respond to the challenges of the Internet. This Declaration contributes to the 10 year review by the UN of the WSIS.
- Leaflet: Council of Europe at IGF 2017
- Leaflet: Council of Europe at IGF 2018
- Internet Governance Forum Website
- Declaration of the Committee of Ministers on the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) +10 review and the extension of the mandate of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)
Video messages by Council of Europe participants at the IGF 2018:
European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG)
EuroDIG provides an open pan-European platform for dialogue on public policy issues relating to Internet governance which helps to shape European views. Since its inception in 2008, the Council of Europe has provided secretariat support and actively participated in its planning and annual events. This support was reiterated in 2012 by the Ministers’ Deputies of the Council of Europe and reaffirmed in 2015 by an exchange of letters between the Council of Europe Secretariat and EuroDIG.
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Since becoming an observer to the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) of ICANN in 2010, the Council of Europe Secretariat has been exploring ways to assist the GAC, ICANN and its communities in making arrangements to ensure that human rights and the rule of law are referred to and considered by ICANN with regard to its policies and procedures. This has resulted in the adoption of two declarations by the Committee of Ministers and the production of independent expert reports.
- ICANN website
- Declaration of the Committee of Ministers on ICANN, human rights and the rule of law
- Report on "Applications to ICANN for Community-based New Generic Top Level Domains (gTLDs): Opportunities and challenges from a human rights perspective" by Eve Salomon and Kinanya Pijl
- Report on ‘ICANN’s procedures and policies in the light of human rights, fundamental freedoms and democratic values by Dr Monika Zalnieriute and Thomas Schneider
- Declaration of the Committee of Ministers on enhanced participation of member states in Internet governance matters – Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
ICANN webinar : Community consensus on the need for change regarding community-based new Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs)
Organised by ARTICLE 19, the Council of Europe, and the Cross Community Working Party on ICANNs Corporate and Social Responsibility to Respect Human Rights Further information including the agenda and slide presentations can be found here. The Council of Europe report on Applications to ICANN for...