Steering Committee for Education Policy and Practice (CDPPE)
The Steering Committee for Educational Policy and Practice oversees the Council of Europe’s programmes in the field of education and advises the Committee of Ministers on education issues.
Governments of the 50 States Parties to the European Cultural Convention are represented in the committee by senior officials from the general education and higher education sectors. Several non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in the field of education are observers to the committee.
The CDPPE's tasks
- Exchange ideas, information and good practice among its members on issues concerning education.
- Promote and facilitate co-operation and understanding between member states.
- Promote reforms of education systems and policies to further democratic competences and participation and to develop the European Higher Education Area.
- Provide advice for policy makers and education professionals in States Parties to the European Cultural Convention in implementing education policies in line with the programme of activities adopted by the Committee of Ministers.
- Draw up recommendations and other instruments allowing States Parties to the European Cultural
- Convention to develop education policies in conformity with the principles and standards of the Organisation and implement them.
- Provide member states with a reference framework of competences for democratic culture to assess learners’ achievements with regard to citizenship, human rights and intercultural dialogue and thus to enable member states to increase the effectiveness of their curricula and training programmes in this area.
- Promote quality education through specific actions regarding education policies to foster safe learning environments for all, and social inclusion, gender equality and anti-discrimination measures in the education sector.
- Develop specific actions in co-operation with relevant conventional mechanisms with regard to the effective implementation of the right to education for all and the promotion of appropriate measures in favour of vulnerable groups.