On 11-12 February, the Council of Europe Network of Co-ordinators for Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education met in Strasbourg at their annual meeting. The focus of the discussions were: 1) strengthening the effectiveness of education policies for the promotion of human rights, democracy and the rule of law; 2) policy implications for the member states (with respect to education for democratic citizenship and human rights) for successful integration of migrants and refugees in Europe; and 3) the right to education and anti-discrimination as pre-conditions for education for democratic citizenship and human rights.
The participants also discussed the preparation of a Report on the State of citizenship and human rights education in Europe (2016) and cooperation projects in the framework of the “Human Rights and Democracy in Action” EC/CoE Joint Programme.
The meeting was organised in the framework of the Bulgarian Chairmanship of the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers.
Speeches and presentations
- Welcome addresses: Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe: Mr Emil Valev, Deputy Permanent Representative of Bulgaria to the Council of Europe.
- Council of Europe: Mr Sjur Bergan, Director ad interim for Democratic Citizenship and Participation and Head of Education Department
- The 25th session of the Council of Europe Standing Conference of Ministers of Education and the Framework of competences for democratic culture – Mr Villano Qiriazi, Head of Education Policy Division, Council of Europe
- Report and Conference on the Charter on Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights – Ms Yulia Pererva, Programme Coordinator, Education Policy Division, Council of Europe
- The World Forum for Democracy – Ms Rabea Willers, Council of Europe
Tackling today’s challenges together
- Recent developments in education for democratic citizenship and human rights for the successful integration of migrants and refugees in Wallonia-Brussels - Mr Emmanuel Rifaut, Citizenship Advisor, General Administration for Education (Belgium, French Community)
- Human Rights, Conflict Resolution and Tolerance Education Programme for Palestine Refugees, Ms Ozlem Eskiocak Oguzertem, Human Rights Education Programme Coordinator, The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA)
Right to Education and Anti-Discrimination as pre-conditions for Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights
- Protection of minorities in the area of education - Ms Charlotte Altenhoener-Dion, Framework Convention for the Protection on National Minorities
- Protection from discrimination in the area of education - Ms Paula Eck-Walters, European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI), Council of Europe
- Protection of the right to education in the framework of the European Social Charter – Ms Nino Chitashvili, Department of the European Social Charter and Social Security Code, Council of Europe
Supporting partnerships for Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights
- Capacity building programmes: Overview and “Human Rights and Democracy in Action” EU/CoE Pilot Projects Scheme – Ms Sarah Keating, Head of Cooperation and Capacity Building Division, and Mr Marc Hory, Programme Coordinator, Council of Europe
- The role of National Human Rights Institutions in the promotion and development of human rights education – Ms Cecilia Decara, Danish Human Rights Institute
- Forum on Human Rights Education with Young People – Mr Rui Gomes, Head of Education and Training Division of Youth Department, Council of Europe
Europe – Questions of Values Council of Europe Educational Game – Presentation by Ms Sophie Lobey, Directorate of Communication
Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers: Ambassador Katya Todorova, Permanent Representative of Bulgaria to the Council of Europe, Chair of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe
Council of Europe: Mr Vilano Qiriazi, Head of the Education Policy Division, Council of Europe