The primary objective of the visit was to examine the progress made as regards the implementation of previous CPT recommendations concerning the situation of patients in civil and forensic psychiatric hospitals and of residents of social care homes (psycho-neurological boarding homes).
In the course of the visit, the delegation held consultations with Oleg Salagay, Deputy Minister of Healthcare, and Svetlana Petrova, Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Protection, as well as with senior officials of the aforementioned Ministries.
In addition, a meeting was held with senior officials from the Ministry of Justice and Federal Penitentiary Service to explore the action taken by the Russian authorities following recent reports on ill-treatment of prisoners by staff at Yaroslavl Colony No. 1. That issue was also discussed with senior representatives of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation.
A joint meeting with senior representatives of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation and senior representatives of the Investigative Committee’s Main Investigative Department in North Caucasian Federal District and Investigative Department in the Chechen Republic provided an opportunity to consider the action that has been taken by those authorities in the period since the CPT's visit to the Chechen Republic of the Russian Federation in December 2017.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Mark Kelly, Head of delegation, 2nd Vice-President of the CPT
- Gergely Fliegauf
- Inga Harutyunyan
- Vytautas Raškauskas.
They were supported by Natacha De Roeck and Dalia Žukauskienė of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by experts - Timothy Harding, psychiatrist, former Director of the University Institute of Forensic Medicine in Geneva, Switzerland, and Clive Meux, forensic psychiatrist, Oxford, United Kingdom.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Federal specialised psychiatric hospital with intensive supervision, Kazan
- Federal specialised psychiatric hospital with intensive supervision, Volgograd
- Branch No. 2 of Volgograd Regional Psychiatric Hospital No. 2
- Krasnoarmeyskaya Regional Psychiatric Hospital named after Yuriy Alekseevich Kalyamin, Saratov region
Social care homes
- Psycho-neurological boarding home No. 16, Moscow
- Psycho-neurological boarding home No. 34, Moscow
- Angarsk psycho-neurological boarding home, Irkutsk region
- Babushkin psycho-neurological boarding home, Republic of Buryatia