"Youth" activities of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities
The Council of Europe Congress has long been committed to promoting the active participation of young people in civic life as a means of securing social cohesion and anchoring democratic principles in a society based on respect for human rights. This approach was borne out by the adoption of its European Charter on the participation of young people in municipal and regional life in 1992.
But as highlighted in the Congress’ 2012 report on “Youth and democracy: the changing face of youth political engagement”, in the 21st century, young people are engaging differently. There is a wide gap between political institutions’ and young people’s understanding of participation. During the Congress’ 2014 conference on promoting youth participation, it became clear that institutions have difficulty in grasping not only what these new forms of youth participation are but also the issues that mobilise young people. For their part, young people are facing unemployment, job insecurity, difficult transitions to work and adult life. They are increasingly disenchanted and cynical and feel marginalised from the political process.
The active participation of citizens in democratic structures and representative institutions is decisive in guaranteeing the legitimacy, credibility and operation of democratic systems. The Congress is cooperating with young people and local and regional authorities to find a way forward towards achieving the meaningful participation of young people.
- 40 youth delegates participate in the 33rd Session of the Congress
- Forum for Local Democracy in Ukraine: mayors, councillors and young local leaders commit to strengthen good local governance
- Forum for Local Democracy in Ukraine: The Council of Europe Congress gathers together mayors, municipal councillors and young leaders in Snovjanka
- “Strengthening the capacities of mayors, councillors and young leaders is essential to build a genuine local democracy in Ukraine”, says Congress President
- Youth participation in local affairs: a key feature of democracy in Ukraine
- Young leaders from Eastern Ukraine engaged for change at local level
- Participation of youth delegates in the 32nd Congress session
- Promoting young people’s transition to autonomy and working life through local and regional policies
- Youth participation central to the debate on the quality of democratic participation at regional level
- Young people to the Congress: “Let us create partnerships”
- 31st Session: Congress showcases youth projects as part of its initiative “rejuvenating politics”
As part of its “Rejuvenating politics” initiative the Congress invites one young person per member State to come to Strasbourg (France) to take an active part, as a youth delegate, in its 34th (27-29 March) and 35th (6-8 November) sessions.
Deadline: 8 January 2018
The Congress is looking for two trainers capable of mentoring around 40 young people, individually and as a group, throughout the year, so that they may contribute as fully as possible to the work while gaining valuable experience which they can multiply back home.
Deadline: 12 December 2017