The President of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe, Leendert Verbeek, accompanied by the Secretary General of the Congress, Andreas Kiefer, met a delegation of representatives of the Kyiv City Council on 28 April 2022 in Strasbourg. They held an exchange of views on the situation of Ukrainian cities and local authorities.
The members of the Kyiv City Council stressed the importance of the Congress' contribution to the post-war period and to the reconstruction of the functioning of democratic institutions, in particular at the territorial level. They also welcomed the initiative of the Cities4cities platform launched, with the support of the Congress, to help Ukrainian cities.
President Verbeek recalled the position of the Congress expressed in several statements since the beginning of the war of the Russian Federation against Ukraine and strongly condemning the crimes against citizens and the kidnapping of Ukrainian mayors. He stressed the crucial role played by mayors during the war, as elected representatives closest to the citizens and on the front line to meet their needs. "You have the support of the whole of Europe and, in particular, of the Congress," President Verbeek reaffirmed, praising the courage of the Ukrainian people.
See also :
- Congress Declaration on the Russian Federation’s war against Ukraine
- Russian Federation's war against Ukraine: special file
- Helping Ukraine - Cities4Cities
Delegation of the Kyiv City Council :
- Bondarenko Volodymyr Volodymyrovych - Deputy Kyiv Mayor - Secretary of the Kyiv City Council, Deputy of the Kyiv City Council, NR;
- Vitrenko Andriy Oleksandrovych - Member of the Kyiv City Council, chairman of the Servant of the People faction;
- Yemets Leonid Oleksandrovych - Member of the Kyiv City Council, European Solidarity Faction;
- Bilоtserkovets Dmytro Oleksandrovych - Member of the Kyiv City Council, co-chairman of the UDAR faction;
- Moskal Denys Denysovych - Member of the Kyiv City Council, Chairman of the All-Ukrainian Batkivshchyna faction;
- Malenko Hryhoriy Serhiiovych - Member of the Kyiv City Council, Faction Holos