Global action: international organisations and initiatives relevant for the Council of Europe and its member states
The Council of Europe remains committed to combatting all forms of violence against children through its standard setting, capacity building and awareness raising activities, including through the Council of Europe Strategy for the Rights of the Child (2016-2021) and its contribution to the United Nations Agenda 2030 related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), in particular its Target 16.2 to end all forms of violence against children.
A number of initiatives and actions have been developed by international organisations to achieve target 16.2 of the UN SDG Agenda 2030 to end abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence against and torture of children.
Learn more about the specific activities on preventing violence against children conducted by the following organisations and initiatives:
Most, if not all, of the Council of Europe’s activities are relevant and contribute to the implementation of Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Note on “Ending all forms of violence against children by 2030”
- Council of Europe Strategy for the Rights of the Child (2016-2021)
- Ad hoc Committee for the Rights of the Child (CAHENF)
- Expert Group on Violence Against Children (CAHENF-VAC)
- Lanzarote Convention
- Committee of the Parties to the Convention on the Protection of Children Against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (“Lanzarote Committee”)
The United Nations is the main body driving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) process at a global level.
- Transforming our world: the 2030 agenda for sustainable development
- Progress of sustainable development goal 16
- United Nations World Report on Violence against Children
- END violence campaign
- A familiar face: Violence in the lives of children and adolescents
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
- The UN Committee on the Rights of the Child
- Regular reporting by states parties on their implementation of the UNCRC
Different international initiatives are addressing the issue of violence against children in a transversal manner.
- Clearinghouse on responses to violence against children
- Combating violence against children: themes and challenges
- Tools and mechanisms in member states: from integrated national strategies to targeted local action
- Global action: international organisations and initiatives relevant for the Council of Europe and its member states
- Council of Europe standards and tools addressing violence against children