10 years of liver transplantation in the Republic of Belarus: Ethical challenges and perspectives
6 April 2018, Minsk
The international Conference “10 years of liver transplantation in the Republic of Belarus: Ethical challenges and perspectives” was jointly organised by the Bioethics Unit of the Council of Europe and the Republican Scientific-Practical Centre of Organ and Tissue transplantation of the Ministry of health of the Republic of Belarus in the framework of the Action Plan of the Council of Europe for Belarus and with the support of the Council of Europe Information Point in Minsk.
The conference intended to discuss legal, ethical and medical perspectives of organ and tissue transplantation contributing thereby to addressing challenges encountered at both international and national levels. The programme of the Conference contained presentations on international standards in the field of organ donation and organ transplantation, including the Oviedo Convention, case-law of the European Court of Human Rights, relevant principles of the World Health Organisation, ethical challenges, fight against trafficking in human organs and exchange of relevant good practices in transplantation systems in Belarus and in other countries.
The working languages of the Conference were English and Russian with simultaneous interpretation.
- 10 years of liver transplantation in the Republic of Belarus: ethical challenges, conclusions and perspectives (RU). Mr Oleg O. Rummo, Head of the Republican Scientific-Practical Centre of Organ and Tissue Transplantation
- Bioethics and organ donation. Council of Europe perspective (RU). Ms Laurence Lwoff, Head of the Bioethics Unit of the Council of Europe, Secretary of the Committee on Bioethics of the Council of Europe
- WHO relevant principles on human cell, tissue and organ transplantation. Mr Jose Núñez, Advisor on Medical Products of Human Origin, World Health Organisation
- Case-law of the European Court of Human Rights in the field of organ transplantation (RU). Ms Irina V. Iatsenko, Senior lawyer of the European Court of Human Rights
- Contribution of the CD-P-TO to the fight against organ trafficking. Ms Ana M. Pires Silva, Legal and Ethical Adviser of the Portuguese Institute of Transplantation, National Focal Point on Transplant related crimes, Expert of the European Committee on Organ Transplantation ( CD-P-TO)
- Ethical challenges of highly scientific liver surgery: ways to address them (RU). Mr Aleksey V. Chzhao, Deputy director of the A.V. Vishnevskiy National medical research centre of surgery
- Transplantation of liver tissue fragments from living donors in Kazakhstan: ethical challenges (RU). Mr Bolatbek B. Baymakhanov, Chairman of the board of the A.N. Syzganov National Scientific Center of Surgery
- Prospective of the programme of liver transplantation in Ukraine: ethical questions (RU). Mr Oleg G. Kotenko, Deputy Scientific Director of the A.A. Shalimov National Institute of surgery and transplantation
- 200 liver transplantations: lessons learned (RU). Mr Dmitri A. Granov, Deputy Director of interventional radiology and operative surgery of the Russian Scientific Centre of Radiology and Surgery techniques of A.M. Granov
- Perspectives of transplantation of organs in Georgia (RU). Mr K. Kabashidze, Professor of the Clinical medicine Department of the Batumi Shota Rustavelli State University
- Intensive care complications following liver transplantation (RU). Mr Sergey V. Zhuravel, Head of the scientific department of anaesthesia and resuscitation for organ transplantation of the N.V. Sklifosofskiy Research Institute
- Presumption of consent: societal opinion and bioethical challenges (RU). Ms Valeriya N. Sokolchik, doctor of science in philosophy, professor of public health and healthcare of the Belarusian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education
- Organ donation in Belarus: 10 years of experience – ethical problems and perspective of development (RU). Mr Siarhei P. Liashchuk, Head of the National Transplant Registry of the Republican Scientific-Practical Centre of Organ and Tissue Transplantation