The Judge and International Custom
Paris, 21 September 2012
In the framework of the close of the French Chairmanship of the Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law (CAHDI), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of France and the Council of Europe organised a Conference on "The Judge and International Custom".
The Conference was held as a side event to the 44th meeting of the CAHDI (19-20 September 2012).
The following documents were available to participants:
- Note by Sir Michael WOOD, Special Rapporteur of the International Law Commission on "Formation and evidence of customary international law"
- Introductory speech by Sir Michael WOOD at the 64th Session of the International Law Commission
- Concluding speech by Sir Michael WOOD at the 64th Session of the International Law Commission
Proceedings of the conference
The proceedings of the conference have been published by the Council of Europe and can be viewed on a dedicated page.
They present the statements and interventions made by the various participants:
- Mr Bernard CAZENEUVE (Minister Delegate for European Affairs, attached to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France)
- Mr Manuel LEZERTUA (Jurisconsult, Director of Legal Advice and Public International Law, Council of Europe)
- Sir Michael WOOD (Member of the International Law Commission, former Chair of the Council of Europe Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law (CAHDI))
- Mr Peter TOMKA (President, International Court of Justice)
- Mr Jiří MALENOVSKÝ (Judge, Court of Justice of the European Union)
- Ms Ineta ZIEMELE (Judge, European Court of Human Rights)
- Mr Andreas PAULUS (Judge, Federal Constitutional Court, Germany)
- Mr Bernard STIRN (President of Section, Council of State, France)