■ Parliamentary Assembly Action
The Assembly Campaign will involves the national parliaments of the 47 member states, observer parliaments (Canada, Israel, Mexico), the European Parliament and regional parliamentary networks (Nordic Council, Gender Task force of the Stability Pact for Southeast Europe). The main European NGOs active in combating domestic violence (Amnesty international, the European Women’s Lobby, Women against violence in Europe, the White Ribbon Network, etc) are encouraged to contribute to the PACE action.
The Parliamentary Assembly backs initiatives taken by national parliaments. For example:
• The Parliamentary Assembly can provide practical information and promotional material to be used by national parliaments, such as the handbook for parliamentarians, white ribbons, leaflets, posters, etc.
• The Parliamentary Assembly can assist national parliaments willing to translate information material into the local language(s) and disseminate it in the country (please contact the Secretariat for further information)
• PACE Members and contact parliamentarians can play an active role to promote the Campaign, the Assembly’s activities and good practices in Europe;
• The Parliamentary Assembly can give its patronage to national and regional initiatives taken by national parliaments (please contact the Secretariat for further information);
• The Parliamentary Assembly has - in close co-operation with its national delegations –set up a network of contact parliamentarians to identify and highlight the initiatives taken by various national parliaments during the campaign and thus encourage an exchange of examples of good practice between parliaments.
■ Campaign Actions to inform Parliamentarians about the campaign during PACE Part Sessions
· April 2007 part-Session, 16-20 April 2007
- Opening of the travelling photo exhibition “breaking the silence on domestic violence" by Gülsün Bilghean, Chair of the Committee on Equal Opportunities for Women and Men, with the participation of Terry Davis, Secretary General of the Council of Europe and Nicola Duckworth, Director of Amnesty International's Europe and Central Asia Program
- Publication of the PACE action Newsletter Nr 2
- Information stand
· January 2007 part-Session, 22-26 January 2007
- Projection of a TV documentary on Domestic violence in collaboration with the TV Channel ARTE, followed by a Debate with a representative of Arte and Parliamentarians, Strasbourg, 23 January 2007
- Publication of the PACE action Newsletter Nr 1
- Information stand
■ Joint declaration of PACE President and Human Rights Commissioner, 7 March 2007
■ Projection of the film “Te doy mis ojos” at the cinema Odyssée violence followed by a Debate with representatives of the Council of Europe, the Parliamentary Assembly, Amnesty international, and the general public, 7 December 2006
■ Launching Conference of the campaign in Madrid, 27 November 2006 and Committee meeting on 28 November 2006
■ Coordination meeting for the contact Parliamentarians, 19 October 2006
■ Consultation meeting with NGO’s involved in the fight against violence against women, Strasbourg 18 October 2006
■ For an access to all documents developed by the Secretariat of the Parliamentary Assembly (Handbook for Parliamentarians, leaflet, etc.), see the “publications” sections of this website