Decision adopted on 27 January 2012
Expert Council on NGO Law
The Conference of International Non Governmental Organisations (INGOs) of the Council of Europe, meeting in Strasbourg on 27 January 2012
Approves the report of Cyril Ritchie, President of the Expert Council on “The future role and operations of the Expert Council on NGO Law”;
Reaffirms the position of the Expert Council on NGO Law as one of its major organs contributing to all the core values of the Council of Europe. The Expert Council is an indispensable support for and reinforcement of the Conference’s role in the Council of Europe Quadrilogue. It also is a linchpin in the Conference’s relationship and partnership with other organs of the Council of Europe.
In consequence, the Conference of INGOs:
Mandates the Expert Council on NGO Law to continue its action on the basis of the following principal provisos:
Ø The main focus of the Expert Council will be on achieving an enabling environment for NGOs in Europe, through:
- monitoring and intervening when appropriate in regard to recent or impending NGO legislation in any European country;
- monitoring and intervening when appropriate in regard to administrative or judicial practices in the implementation of NGO legislation in any European country;
- monitoring and promoting Europe-wide knowledge and implementation of Committee of Ministers Recommendation (2007)14;
- analysis and dissemination of relevant developments in European standards and case law.
Ø The Expert Council shall seek optimal consultation, co-operation and interaction with all relevant Council of Europe organs, and contribute to the role of the Conference of INGOs within the Council of Europe Quadrilogue. The Expert Council shall also seek active co-operation with other organisations and institutions
- active in the field of NGO legislative frameworks,
- working on related administrative or judicial practices.
The Conference of INGOs:
Charges the Bureau, in consultation with the President of the Expert Council, to draft the practical implementation modalities and to present a revised version of the mandate of the Expert Council on NGO Law for adoption by the Conference of INGOs in June 2012;
Appoints Cyril Ritchie President of the Expert Council on NGO Law for a mandate of three years.