Directorate General of Political Affairs
Project “Good Governance in the Information Society”
Direction Générale des Affaires Politiques
Projet « Bonne gouvernance dans la société de l’Information »
5 October 2005
Council of Europe Project
“Good governance in the information Society”
Council of Europe documents on democracy and civic participation
A contribution to the launch meeting of the
Forum for the Future of Democracy in Europe
(Warsaw, 3-4 November 2005)
Prepared by the Project Secretariat
- Directorate General of Legal Affairs (DG I)
- Directorate General of Human Rights (DG II)
- Directorate General of Social Cohesion (DG III)
- Directorate General of Culture (DG IV)
- Directorate General of Political Affairs (DG AP)
- Venice Commission
- Parliamentary Assembly
Directorate General of Legal Affairs (DG I)
1. Collection 1 on Science and technique of democracy
No. 1 Meeting with the presidents of constitutional courts and other equivalent bodies 2 (1993)
No. 2 Models of constitutional jurisdiction* 3
by Helmut Steinberger (1993)
No. 3 Constitution making as an instrument of democratic transition (1993)
No. 4 Transition to a new model of economy and its constitutional reflections (1993)
No. 5 The relationship between international and domestic law (1993)
No. 6 The relationship between international and domestic law*
by Constantin Economides (1993)
No. 7 Rule of law and transition to a market economy (1994)
No. 8 Constitutional aspects of the transition to a market economy (1994)
No. 9 The Protection of Minorities (1994)
No. 10 The role of the constitutional court in the consolidation of the rule of law (1994)
No. 11 The modern concept of confederation (1995)
No. 12 Emergency powers*
by Ergun Özbudun and Mehmet Turhan (1995)
No. 13 Implementation of constitutional provisions regarding mass media in a pluralist democracy (1995)
No. 14 Constitutional justice and democracy by referendum (1996)
No. 15 The protection of fundamental rights by the Constitutional Court* (1996)
No. 16 Local self-government, territorial integrity and protection of minorities (1997)
No. 17 Human Rights and the functioning of the democratic institutions in emergency situations (1997)
N° 18 The constitutional heritage of Europe (1997)
No. 19 Federal and regional States (1997)
No. 20 The composition of constitutional courts (1997)
No. 21 Nationality and state succession (1998)
No. 22 The transformation of the Nation-State in Europe at the dawn of the 21st century (1998)
No. 23 Consequences of state succession for nationality (1998)
No. 24 Law and foreign policy (1998)
No 25 New trends in electoral law in a pan-European context (1999)
No 26 The principle of respect for human dignity (1999)
No 27 Federal and Regional States in the perspective of European integration (1999)
No. 28 The right to a fair trial (2000)
No. 29 Societies in conflict : the contribution of law and democracy to conflict resolution2 (2000)
No. 30 European Integration and Constitutional Law (2001)
No. 31 Constitutional implications of accession to the European Union2 (2002)
No. 32 The protection of national minorities by their kin-State2 (2002)
No. 33 Democracy, Rule of Law and Foreign Policy2 (2003)
No. 34 Code of good practice in electoral matters* (2003)
No. 35 The resolution of conflicts between the central State and entities with legislative power by the Constitutional Court2 (2003)
No. 36 Constitutional Courts and European Integration4 (2004)
No. 37 European and U.S. Constitutionalism4(2005)
No 38 State Consolidation and National Identity4 (2005)
No 39 European Standards of Electoral Law in the Contemporary Constitutionalism1 (2005)
2. Local and regional democracy
- The Revised European Charter on the Participation of Young People in Local and Regional Life (adopted on 21 May 2003; CM Recommendation (2004)13)
- European Charter of Local Self-Government (ETS No. 122)
- European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages
- Practical guide aimed at NGOs related to European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages
- Recommendation Rec(2001)19 on the participation of citizens in local public life
- Recommendation Rec(2004)1 on financial and budgetary management at local and regional levels
- Recommendation R(96)2 on referendums and popular initiatives at local level)
- Recommendation No R (97) 7 on Local public services and the rights of their users
3. Citizens and foreigners
- European Convention on Nationality (ETS No. 166)
- Convention on the Participation of Foreigners in Public Life at Local Level (ETS No. 144)
- Recommendation Rec (1999) 18 on the avoidance and reduction of statelessness. Obtaining citizenships is surely a precondition for exercising certain political rights and thus relevant to democracy.
- Recommendation on the rights of internally displaced persons (draft to be finalised by CAHAR in 2005 and to be presented to the CM for adoption in 2006). This recommendation would contain provisions on such rights of IDPs as the right to facilitated registration, which is important for their participation in local elections, for example.
4. Legal status of NGOs
- European Convention on the Recognition of the Legal Personality of International Non-Governmental Organisations (ETS No. 124) – at present the only international standard-setting instrument covering this type of NGO.
- Fundamental Principles on the status of NGOs in Europe adopted in 2002 (legal personality of NGOs, their status, management, transparency and accountability etc).
A recommendation to member states on the legal status of NGOs is under consideration.
Study finalised in 2004 on the legal framework for the setting up and functioning of NGOs in Europe in order to assess the compatibility of the national legislation and practice with the provisions of Fundamental Principles.
5. Administrative law
- Resolution (77) 31 on the Protection of the Individual in Relation to the Acts of administrative Authorities
- Recommendation No R (81) 19 on the access to information held by public authorities
- Recommendation No R (87) 16 on administrative procedures affecting a large number of persons
6. Access to Justice
- Resolution (76) 5 On Legal Aid in Civil, Commercial and Administrative Matters
- Resolution (78) 8 On Legal Aid and Advice
- Recommendation (81) 7 On Measures Facilitating Access to Justice
- Recommendation (93) 1 On Effective Access to the Law and to Justice for the Very Poor
- Recommendation (2005) 12 Containing an Application Form for Legal Aid Abroad for Use Under the European Agreement on the Transmission of Applications for legal aid (ETS No. 092) and its Additional Protocol (ETS No. 179)
At the same time it is believed that the Recommendation (2000) 21 on the Freedom of Exercise of the Profession of Lawyer also has a strong impact on funcioning of the civil societies in the member states, as it sets forth certain principles as regards the independence and responsibilities of this legal profession towards the society, the state authorities and itself.
- Twenty Guiding Principles for the fight against corruption
- Criminal (EST N° 173) and Civil Law (ETS N° 174) Conventions on Corruption and Additional Protocol to the Criminal Law Convention on Corruption (ETS N° 191)
- Recommendations R(2000)10 on Codes of Conduct for Public Officials
- Rec(2003)4 on Common Rules against Corruption in the Funding of Political Parties and Electoral Campaigns.
No GRECO-documents which would relate specifically to the issue of democracy and civic participation. However all CoE anti-corruption instruments have been designed against the background of corruption being considered as a serious threat to democracy, equity and social justice. GRECO’s (generally published) evaluation reports (http://www.greco.coe.int) contain references to such issues as the independence of anti-corruption bodies, the transparency of public administration and citizens’ access to information (which might be related to some of the concerns which will be addressed by the Forum).
8. Prison system
The participation of civil society does play an increasingly important role in improving the treatment of prisoners (a role which is acknowledged by the new European Prison Rules, expected to be adopted by the Committee of Ministers by the end of 2005) as well as in the development of the functioning of the police and other public agencies involved in the prevention of criminality. The role of civil society is also important in developing and improving restorative justice methods of intervention in our member States such as mediation in penal matters, or assistance to victims. In addition the current developments in the field of probation and community sanctions and measures clearly imply the participation of society at large.
Further information on these subjects can be found on the websites:
www.coe.int/T/E/Legal_affairs/Legal_co-operation/Prisons_and_alternatives/ and www.coe.int/T/E/Legal_affairs/Legal_co-operation/Crime_policy/ as well as on the web site of the Group of specialists on the assistance to victims (link to the PC-S-AV)5.
Directorate General of Human Rights (DG II)
- European Convention on Human rights and its additional protocols*
- European Social Charter
- Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities*
- Recommendation No. R (81)19 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on access to information held by public authorities (adopted on 25 November 1981)
- Declaration regarding intolerance – a threat to democracy adopted by the Committee of Ministers (on 14 May 1981)
- Declaration on the freedom of expression and information adopted by the Committee of Ministers (on 29 April 1982)
- Recommendation No. R (85)7 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on teaching and learning about human rights in schools (adopted on 14 May 1985)
- Recommendation No. R (96)10 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the guarantee of the independence of public service broadcasting (adopted on 11 September 1996)
- Recommendation No. R (97)20 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on “hate speech” (adopted on 30 October 1997)
- Recommendation No. R (97)21 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the media and the promotion of a culture of tolerance (adopted on 30 October 1997)
- Recommendation No. R (99)1 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on measures to promote media pluralism (adopted on 19 January 1999)
- Recommendation No. R (99)15 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on measures concerning media coverage of election campaigns (adopted on 9 September 1999)
- Recommendation No. R (2000)7 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the right of journalists not to disclose their sources of information (adopted on 8 March 2000)
- Recommendation Rec (2002)2 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on access to official documents (adopted on 21 February 2002)
- Declaration on freedom of political debate in the media, adopted on 12 February 2004
- Declaration on freedom of communication on the Internet, adopted on 28 May 2003 (PDF version including explanatory note)
- Recommendation No. R (2003) 9 on measures to promote the democratic and social contribution of digital broadcasting
- Declaration on the protection of journalists in situations of conflict and tension adopted on 3 May 1996
- Recommendation No. R (96) 4 on the protection of journalists in situations of conflict and tension
- Recommendation No. R (94) 13 on measures to promote media transparency and its Explanatory Memorandum
- Declaration on freedom of expression and information adopted on 29 April 1982
- ECRI Declaration on the use of racist, antisemitic and xenophobic elements in political discourse
- General policy recommendation n° 6: Combating the dissemination of racist, xenophobic and antisemitic materiel via the internet
- Recommendation Rec (2003) 3 of the CM to member States on balanced participation of women and men in political and public decision making
- Declaration on Equality between Women and Men as a Fundamental Criterion of Democracy (4th European Ministerial Conference on Equality between Women and Men – Istanbul, 13-14 November 1997)
* Secretariat documents on democracy/participation – related standards in the case-law of the Court / the opinions of the Advisory Committee on the Framework Convention can be made available.
Directorate General of Social Cohesion (DG III)
Tendances de la cohésion sociale n° 12 (déjà publié)/Trends in social cohesion
Engagement éthique et solidaire des citoyens dans l'économie : une responsabilité pour la cohésion sociale
Ethical, solidarity-based citizen involvement in the economy: a prerequisite for social cohesion ISBN 92-871-5558-5
Tendances de la cohésion sociale n° 14 (en cours d'édition, devrait parâtre d'ici une dizaine de jours)
Les choix solidaires dans le marché: un apport incontournable à la cohésion sociale
Solidarity-based choices in the marketplace: a vital contribution to social cohesion
Democracy in general:
ETS: European Convention on the Legal Status of Migrant Workers (ETS 093)
· Recommendation Rec(2002)4 on the legal status of persons admitted for family reunification
· Recommendation Rec(2000)15 concerning the security of residence of long-term migrants
1. The legal status of persons admitted for family reunion : a comparative study of law and practice in some European countries, 2000
Steve Peers, Robin Barzilay, Kees Groenendijk and Elspeth Guild, (ISBN 92-871-4388-9)
Le statut juridique des personnes admises au regroupement familial : étude comparative de la législation et de la pratique de certains pays européens,
Steve Peers, Robin Barzilay, Kees Groenendijk et Elspeth Guild, 2000, (ISBN 92 871-4387-0)
2. Diversity and Cohesion: new challenges for the integration of immigrants and minorities, 2000, (ISBN 92-871-4345-5)
Diversité et Cohésion : de nouveaux défis pour l’intégration des immigrés et des minorités, 2000, (ISBN 92-871-4344-7)
3. Framework of integration policies, 2000, (ISBN 92-871-4341-2)
Cadre des politiques d’intégration, 2000, (ISBN 92-871-4340-4)
4. Religion and the integration of immigrants, 1999, (ISBN 92-871-4041-3)
La religion et l’intégration des immigrés, 1999, (ISBN 92-871-4040-5)
6. Security of residence of long-term migrants: a comparative study of law and practice in European countries, 1998, (ISBN 92-871-3788-9)
Kees Groenendijk, Elspeth Guild and Halil Dogan
Sécurité de résidence des immigrés de longue durée : étude comparative de la législation et de la pratique des pays européens, 1998,
Kees Groenendijk, Elspeth Guild et Halil Dogan, (ISBN 92 871-3787-0)
13. Immigrant women and integration, 1995, (ISBN 92-871-2834-0)
Les femmes immigrées et l'intégration, 1995, (ISBN 92-871-2833-2)
16. Police training concerning migrants and ethnic relations, practical guidelines, 1994
Formation de la police concernant les relations avec les migrants et les groupes ethniques, directives pratiques, 1994, (ISBN 92-871-2458-2)
Political and social participation of immigrants through consultative bodies, 1999,
Participation politique et sociale des immigrés à travers des mécanismes de consultation,7 1999, (ISBN 92-871-3890-7)
1. Recommendation Rec(2000)5 on the development of structures for citizen and patient participation in the decision-making process affecting health care and explanatory memorandum
2. Recommendation Rec(2000)18 on criteria for the development of health promotion policies and final report
3. Recommendation Rec(2001)12 on the adaptation of health care services to the demand for health care and health care services of people in marginal situations and explanatory memorandum
4. Report on Access to social rights for people with disabilities in Europe, 2003, ISBN 92-871-5328-0
Directorate General of Education,
Culture and Heritage, Youth and Sport (DG IV)
SCHOOL, OUT-OF-SCHOOL AND HIGHER EDUCATION
List of relevant publications on the acquis in the field of democracy in general and on the issue of civic participation :
Education for Democratic Citizenship
Adopted texts on education for democratic citizenship
· Declaration and programme on education for democratic citizenship, based on the rights and responsibilities of citizens adopted by the Committee of Ministers, Budapest 1999;
· Resolution on results and conclusions of the completed projects in the 1997-2000 Medium-term programme, adopted by the Ministers of Education of the Council of Europe, Cracow 2000;
· Recommendation Rec (2002)12 adopted by the Committee of Ministers to member states on education for democratic citizenship.
· Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 1346 (1997) on human rights education;
· Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 1401(1999) Education in the responsibilities of the individual;
· Final declaration of the 21th Session of the Ministers of Education, Athens 2003 on Intercultural education; managing diversity, strengthening democracy Intercultural Education in the 21st Century: learning to live together.
Series of reports produced by the EDC Project
· Education for democratic citizenship: a lifelong perspective by César Bîrzea;
· Strategies for learning democratic citizenship by Karlheinz Dürr, Vedrana Spajic-Vrakaš, Isabel Ferreira Martins;
· Sites of citizenship: empowerment, participation and partnerships by Liam Carey and Keith Forrester;
· Basic concepts and core competencies for education for democratic citizenship by François Audigier;
· Project on “Education for democratic citizenship” Report of the Final Conference;
· All-European Study on EDC Policies: Synthesis of EDC Policies in Europe by
· Regional studies on EDC Policies by Isak Froumin, David Kerr, Rolf Mikkelsen, Milan Pol, Bruno Losito and Mitja Sardoc;
· All-European Study on Pupils Participation in Schools by Karlheinz Dürr;
· Report of the seminar on EDC Policies and regulatory frameworks by Karen O’Shea;
· Report of the seminar on EDC Policies and Practice: How to bridge the gap? By Graham Morris.
Glossary of Terms for Education for Democratic Citizenship by Karen O’Shea.
Bibliography on Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education by Mitja Sardoc.
Concept paper for the European Year of Citizenship through Education.
Communiqué and Action Plan for the European Year Year of Citizenship through Education.
Higher Education and Research
ISBN 5150-4 : Recognition issues
5679-4: The public responsibility
5515-1: The University as res publica
5031-1: Language policies
5155-5: Les politiques linguistiques
4452-4: Concepts of citizenship
4451-6: Concepts de la citoyenneté
4960-7: The Heritage of European universities
4959-3: Le patrimoine des universités européennes
· Guide for the development of Language Education Policies in Europe : from linguistic diversity to plurilingual education accompanied by a series of 21 specific studies including the following:
o Democratic Citizenship, Languages, Diversity and Human Rights
o Plurilingualism, Democratic Citizenship in Europe and the Role of English
o Language Education, Canadian Civic Identity and the Identities of Canadians
o Europe, frontiers and languages
o The consequences of demographic trends for language learning and diversity
· Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment available in 22 languages
· European Language Portfolio (74 models)
· Languages, Diversity, Citizenship: Policies for plurilingualism in Europe, Conference Report
· Linguistic Diversity for Democratic Citizenship in Europe, Proceedings
· Language learning for European citizenship
· Developing the Intercultural Dimension in Language Teaching – A practical introduction for teachers
· Language texting for citizenship (brochure)
CULTURE AND CULTURAL AND NATURAL HERITAGE
List of documents and publications on civic participation, active citizenship or democratic involvement in decision-making:
·Amsterdam Declaration. Adopted at the Congress on the European Architectural Heritage, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 25 October 1975
·Bennett, Tony. Differing diversities: cultural policy and cultural diversity. Strasbourg : Council of Europe, 2001
·Cultural heritage and its educational implications: a factor for tolerance, good citizenship and social integration. Strasbourg : Council of Europe, 1997
·D’Angelo, Mario: Cultural policies in Europe: local issues. Strasbourg: Council of Europe, 2000
·Declaration on intercultural dialogue and conflict prevention. Adopted by the Conference of the European Ministers of Culture, Opatija, Croatia, 22 October
·Declaration on the role of voluntary organisations in the field of cultural heritage. Adopted by the 5th European Conference of Ministers responsible for the Cultural Heritage, Portorož, Slovenia, 7 April 2001
·Draft Framework Convention Council of Europe on the value of cultural heritage for society (currently being discussed at the Committee of Ministers)
·European Declaration on Cultural Objectives adopted by the 4th Conference of European Ministers Responsible for Cultural Affairs on 24 May 1984
·European Task Force for Culture and Development: In from the margins: a contribution to the debate on culture and development in Europe. Strasbourg: Council of Europe, 1997
·Everitt, Anthony: The governance of culture: approaches to integrated cultural planning and policies. Strasbourg, Council of Europe, 1999 (Policy note 5)
·Fisher, Rod; Fox, Roger: Culture and civil society: new relationships with the third sector. Strasbourg, Council of Europe, 2001 (Policy note 6)
·Guidance on urban rehabilitation. Strasbourg : Council of Europe, 2004
·Kecskemeti, Charles; Szekely, Ivan. Access to archives: a handbook of guidelines for implementation of Recommendation (2000)13 on a European policy on access to archives. Strasbourg: Council of Europe, 2005
·Recommendation No. R (98)5 of the Committee of Ministers to member States concerning heritage education adopted on 17 March 1998
·Recommendation No. R (2002) 1 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on the Guiding Principles for Sustainable Spatial Development of the European Continent adopted on 30 January 2002
·Resolution (98)4 on the cultural routes of the Council of Europe adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 17 March 1998
·Simpson, J.A.: Towards cultural democracy. Strasbourg : Council of Europe, 1976
·Stanley, Dick: Recondita armonia: a reflection on the function of culture in building citizenship capacity (working title); forthcoming Policy Note by the Culture and Cultural Heritage Department commissioned within the framework of the European Year of Citizenship through Education 2005
·Council of Europe/ERICarts: Compendium of cultural policies and trends in Europe. 5th edition, 2005 (http://www.culturalpolicies.net/) provides information on the application of civic participation, active citizen involvement and other cultural democracy measures in national cultural policies
·European Heritage Network. An online information system on cultural heritage policies in Europe (http://www.european-heritage.net)
·See also the recent Kyiv Declaration on "Culture and Cultural Policies for Development" and the "Kyiv Initative for the Democratic Development through Culture" (both 15-16 September 2005) as expressions of intent, informing future activities of the Culture and Cultural Heritage Department in this area
YOUTH AND SPORT
La plupart des publications de la Direction Jeunesse sont liées à la question de la citoyenneté active et donc de la démocratie (voir liste des Publications).
Voir ci-dessous une liste de publicatoins ayant plus particulièrement trait à ce domaine, notamment "Revisiting youth political participation"* qui est plus directement liée à la question de la démocratie représentative.
The Council of Europe and Youth
The Council of Europe and youth: thirty years experience / Laurence Eberhard. Council of Europe, 2002. ISBN: 92-871-4976-3.
The evolution of the youth sector of the Council of Europe between 1972 and 2002
Award « Young active citizens » (www.coe.int/youth)
Brochure and Leaflet on the work of the Youth Directorate: Young people building Europe: participation, intercultural dialogue and human rights education (2005)
Participation and citizenship: training for minority youth projects in Europe / Ohana, Y. (ed.). Council of Europe, 1998. ISBN: 92-871-3650-5.
Report of the Long-Term Training Course.
Compass: a manual on Human rights Education with Young People / Brander, Patricia et al. Council of Europe, 2002.
Manual providing youth leaders, teachers and educators with concrete ideas and practical activities to engage, involve and motivate young people to form a positive awareness of human rights in their own ways and in their own communities.
On-line at www.coe.int/compass
Hearing on the specific situation of young migrants.- European Youth Centre Budapest, 2002.
Summary proceedings of a Hearing of the Parliamentary Assembly's Subcommittee on Migration held on 15-16 November 2001 in the European Youth Centre Budapest.
(available on-line at www.coe.int/hre)
Islamophobia and its consequences on Young People / Ramberg, Ingrid - Council of Europe, 2004. ISBN: 92-871-5673-5.
Report of the Seminar held on 1-6 June 2004 in the European Youth Centre Budapest.
Young People and Violence Prevention - Youth Policy Recommendations / Gavan Titley - Council of Europe, 2004.
This book discusses and presents policy recommendations that can support the work of young people, public authorities and non gouvernmental organisations in violence prevention and in dealing with the consequences of violence.
*Revisiting youth political participation / Joerg Forbrig / (ed.) Council of Europe, 2005. ISBN 92-871-5654-9
Provides an interdisciplinary panorama of conceptual, historical, sociological and institutional analyses of young people and their democratic involvement in Europe today.
Keys to participation : a practitioners' guide / Boukobza, E. Council of Europe, 1998.
Keys to youth participation in eastern Europe / Kovacheva, Siyka. Council of Europe, 2000.
Outlines the forms, resources and objectives of participation in social life of the first post-cold-war generation in Europe.
Youth research in Europe -- the next generation : perspectives on transitions, identities and citizenship / Directorate of Youth and Sport. Council of Europe, 2001. ISBN: 92-871-4534-2.
A snapshot of current debates across Europe by a new generation of social scientists.
Transitions of youth citizenship in Europe: culture, subculture and identity / Furlong, Andy (ed.) & Irena Guidikova (ed.). Council of Europe, 2001.
Explores the contradictions in youth citizenship from a variety of methodological, geographical and theoretical standpoints.
The participation of young people / European Steering Committee for Intergovernmental Co-operation in the Youth Field, Council of Europe, 1997.
Reviews of national youth policy in: Estonia, Finland, Lithuanie, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Spain, and Sweden : Reports by an international review group appointed by the Council of Europe. The first in a series of reviews of youth policy by the Council of Europe in collaboration and consultation with national governments. ISBN publications.
Supporting young people in Europe: principles, policy and practice / Howard Williamson. Council of Europe, 2002. ISBN: 92-871-4954-2.
Synthesis report on the Council of Europe’s international review of national youth policy process 1997-2001.
The State of national youth councils and consultative youth bodies in Europe / Flessenkemper, Tobias. Council of Europe, 2003.
Comparative study on the functionning of national youth councils and consultative youth bodies in Europe.
Youth cultures, lifestyles and citizenship / Mc Carthy, Stephen (rapp.). Council of Europe, 2000.
Seminar addressed four key issues: visions of society, attitudes and values, communication and participation. Workshops involved the participants in taking a hard look at their own line of thinking concerning youth and democracy.
The beauty of the world. Situation and perspectives of minority young people in Europe. / Vanyi, Balint. Council of Europe, 1995. Report of the training course for minority youth leaders, Levoca, Slovakia, 18-27 May 1995. (available on-line at www.coe.int/hre)
Making a difference with minority youth in Europe / Vaida Jasiukaityte. Council of Europe, 2003.
Summary of the evaluation of the training course “Participation and Citizenship onempowerment of minority youth leaders” and of the impact achieved on participants.
Young Roma, Gypsies and Travellers in Europe. Report on the training course for minority young leaders “Situation and perspectives of young people from Roma/Gypsy and Travellers backgrounds in Europe”. EYC, Strasbourg, 18- 27 April 1995 / Fernandez Jimenez, D.L. (rapp.). Council of Europe, 1996.
Directorate General of Political Affairs
Project “Making Democratic Institutions work”
· Going for gender balance (2002)
Vers l’équilibre entre les femmes et les hommes (2002)
Non-ISBN versions exist in Russian, Ukrainian and Georgian.
· Women’s individual voting rights – a democratic requirement (2002)
Le droit de vote individuel des femmes – une exigence démocratique (2002)
Non-ISBN versions exist in Serbian, Macedonian, Albanian, Russian.
Exists in Georgian, as a working document
· Highway to democracy – the Council of Europe and the information society (2003)
Le chemin de la démocratie– le Conseil de l’Europe et la société de l’information (2003)
· Guarding the watchdog – the Council of Europe and media (2003)
Sous protection rapprochée – le Conseil de l’Europe et les médias (2003)
ISBN 92-871-5248-9 (2003)
· Financing political parties and election campaigns – guidelines (2003)
ISBN 92-871- 5356-6
Financement des partis politiques et des campagnes électorales – Lignes directrices (2003)
ISBN 92-871- 5355-8
· Genderware – the Council of Europe and the participation of women in political life (2003)
Parité – Le Conseil de l’Europe et la participation des femmes à la vie politique (2004)
Translated into Croatian by the office of Gender Equality, Government of Croatia
· Local consultative bodies for foreign residents – a handbook (2004)
Les structures consultatives locales pour résidents étrangers – Manuel (2004)
· The future of democracy in Europe – trends, analyses, reforms (2004)
L’avenir de la démocratie en Europe – Etat des lieux, propositions de réforme (2004) ISBN 92-871-5569-0
· Developing democracy in Europe – an analytical summary of the Council of Europe’s acquis (2004)
Faire évoluer la démocratie en Europe – Résumé analytique de l’acquis du Conseil de l’Europe (2004)
· Reflections on the future of democracy in Europe
Réflexions sur l’avenir de la démocratie en Europe
ISBN 92-871-5835-5 ( November 2005)
· Rec (2004)11, 30 September 2004
Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to member states on legal, operational and technical standards for e-voting (Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 30 September 2004 at the 898th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies)
· Rec(2004)15, 15 December 2004
Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to member states on electronic governance (“e-governance”) (Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 15 December 2004 at the 909th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies)
· Proceedings of Citizens’ Forum “NGOs – key players in democratic governance”
4 and 5 November 2002
· Declaration on the Citizens' Forum «NGOs - key players in democratic governance»
adopted at the Extraordinary Plenary Conference of international Non-Governmental Organisations enjoying consultative status with the Council of Europe, Strasbourg, 25 June 2003
Schools of Political Studies
Brochure Schools of Political Studies (Les Ecoles d’Etudes Politiques
“Leadership training in Europe’s new democracies”/ “Former les responsables des nouvelles démocraties européennes”
Council of Europe – published 06/2005
Directorate General of Political Affairs
Participatory status for international non-governmental organisations with the Council of Europe
(Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 19 November 2003 at the 861st meeting of the Ministers’ Deputies)
Status of partnership between the Council of Europe and national non-governmental organisations
(Adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 19 November 2003 at the 861st meeting of the Ministers’ Deputies)
1. Constitutional and institutional reforms – Venice Commission
CDL-AD(2004)015 Opinion on the possible follow-up to Parliamentary Assembly Recommendation 1629 (2003) on “Future of Democracy: Strengthening Democratic Institutions” adopted by the Venice Commission at its 58th Plenary Session (Venice, 12-13 March 2004)
CDL-AD(2004)015 Avis relatif aux possibilités de suivi de la Recommandation 1629 (2003) de l'Assemblée parlementaire sur « l’avenir de la démocratie : renforcer les institutions démocratiques » adopté par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 58e session plénière (Venise, 12 - 13 mars 2004)
CDL-AD(2004)012 Report on the compatibility of remote voting and electronic voting with the standards of the Council of Europe adopted by the Venice Commission at its 58th Plenary Session (Venice, 12-13 March 2004) (Ch. Grabenwarter)
CDL-AD(2004)012 Rapport sur la compatibilité du vote à distance et du vote électronique avec les standards du Conseil de l'Europe adopté par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 58e session plénière (Venise, 12-13 mars 2004) (Ch. Grabenwarter)
CDL-AD(2004)007rev Guidelines and Explanatory Report on Legislation on Political Parties: some specific issues, adopted by the Venice Commission at its 58th Plenary Session (Venice, 12-13 March 2004)
CDL-AD(2004)004 Rapport sur la création, l'organisation et les activités des Partis politiques sur la base des réponses au questionnaire sur la création, l’organisation et les activités des partis politiques adopté par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 57e session plénière (12-13 décembre 2003)
CDL-AD(2004)003 Report on Electoral Systems - Overview of available solutions and selection criteria adopted by the Venice Commission at its 57th Plenary Session (Venice, 12-13 December 2003)
CDL-AD(2004)003 Rapport sur les systèmes électoraux - Tableau de l'offre et critères de choix adopté par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 57e session plénière (Venise, 12-13 décembre 2003)
CDL-AD(2002)023rev Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters: Guidelines and Explanatory Report - Adopted by the Venice Commission at its 52nd session (Venice, 18-19 October 2002) in English
CDL-AD(2002)023rev Code de bonne conduite en matière électorale: Lignes directrices et rapport explicatif - adoptés par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 52e session (Venise, 18-19 octobre 2002) en français
CDL-INF(2000)016 Un Cadre juridique général de référence pour faciliter la solution des conflits éthno-politiques en Europe adopté par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 44e réunion plénière (13-14 octobre 2000)
CDL-INF(2001)010 Guidelines for Constitutional Referendums at National Level: Adopted by the Venice Commission at its 47th Plenary Meeting (Venice, 6-7 July 2001)
CDL-INF(2001)010 Lignes directrices sur le référendum constitutionnel à l'échelle nationale adoptées par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 47e réunion plénière (Venise, 6-7 juillet 2001)
CDL-INF(2001)008 Guidelines and Report on the Financing of Political Parties: adopted by the Venice Commissionat its 46th Plenary Meeting, (Venice, 9-10 March 2001)
CDL-INF(2001)008 Lignes directrices et rapport sur le financement des partis politiques adoptés par la Commission de Venise lors de sa 46ème réunion plénière (Venise, 9-10 mars 2001)
CDL-INF(2000)004 Droit électoral et minorités nationales
CDL-INF(1998)006 Internal Security Services in Europe
CDL-INF(1996)007 Rapport sur le régime des immunités parlementaires
CDL-INF(1996)005 Contribution of the Venice Commission for the 1996 Intergovernmental Conference
CDL-INF(1996)005 Contribution de la Commission de Venise à la Conférence intergouvernementale de 1996
Voir par ailleurs (annexe A) les publications de la série "Science et technique de la démocratie" et notamment:
documents concerning directly civic participation are in bold
N.B. This is not an exhaustive list of Assembly’s texts which may be considered as its acquis in the field of democracy - there is a whole category of documents like opinions on accession, monitoring reports or resolutions on functionning of democratic institutions in CoE member states which set up concrete standards for democratic systems. Also texts which for different reasons have become obsolete are not included in this list.
Recommendation 1714(2005) on the abolition of restrictions on the right to vote
Recommendation 1713(2005) on democratic oversight of the security sector in member states
Recommendation 1704(2005) on referendums: towards good practices in Europe
Recommendation 1680(2004) on the new concepts to evaluate the state of democratic development
Resolution 1407(2004) on the new concepts to evaluate the state of democratic development
Recommendation 1644(2004) on terrorism: a threat to democracies
Recommendation 1629(2003) on the future of democracy: strengthening democratic institutions
Resolution 1353(2003) on the future of democracy: strenthening democratic institutions
Resolution 1344(2003) on threat posed to democracy by extremist parties and movements in Europe
Recommendation 1550(2002) on combatting terrorism and respect for human rights
Recommendation 1534(2001) on democracies facing terrorism
Recommendation 1516(2001) on financing of political parties
Recommendation 1500(2001) on the participation of immigrants and foreign residents in political life in the CoE member States
Resolution 1231(2000) on the impact of electoral systems on the political process
Resolution 1209(2000) on democracy and economic development
Resolution 1214(2000) on the role of parliaments in fighting corruption
Recommendation 1426(1999) on the European democracies facing up terrorism
Recommendation 1413(1999) on the equal representation in political life
Recommendation 1402(1999) on the control of internal security services in Council of Europe member States
Recommendation 1396(1999) on religion and democracy
Resolution 1121(1997) on instruments of citizen participation in representative democracy
Resolution 1120(1997) on the impact of the new communication and information technologies on democracy
Recommendation 1202 (1993) on religious tolerance in democratic society
Resolution 980 (1992) on citizens’ participation in politics
Recommendation 1180(1992) on citizens’ participation in politics
Recommendation 1147(1991) on parliamentary responsibility for the democratic reform of broadcasting
Recommendation 1019(1985) on the participation of young people in political and institutional life
Recommendation 1008 (1985) on women in politics;
Resolution 800 (1983) on the principles of democracy
List of documents on civic participation
The 1992 Convention on the Participation of Foreigners in Public Life at Local Level (entry into force on 1 May 1997)
The Revised European Charter on the Participation of Young People in Local and Regional Life (adopted on 21 May 2003; CM Recommendation (2004)13)
The 2004 Handbook on local consultative bodies for foreign residents
The European Code of conduct for local and regional elected officials
Recommendatoin 1277 (1995) on migrants, ethnic minorities and media (June 1995; report by the Comité on Migration, Refugees and Demography; Doc. 7322) (Comitee of Ministres reply, January 1996, Doc. 7469), Parliamentary Assembly
Recommendation 61 (1999) on the role of local and regional mediators/ombudsmen in defending citizens’ rights
Recommendation 68 (1999) on women’s participation in political life in the regions of Europe
Recommendation 76 (2000) on the participation of foreign residents in local public life
Recommendation 111 (2002) on women’s individual voting rights: a democratic requirement
Recommendation 113 (2002) on relations between the public, the local assembly and the executive in local democracy (the institutional framework of local democracy)
Recommendation 115 (2002) on the participation of foreign residents in local public life: consultative bodies
Recommendation 139 (2003) on NGOs and local and regional democracy
Recommendation 153 (2004) on a pact for the integration and participation of people of immigrant origin in Europe’s towns, cities and regions
Resolution 91 (2000) on responsible citizenship and participation in public life
Resolution 92 (2000) on the participation of foregin residents in local public life
CM Recommendation 19(2001) on the participation of citizens in local public life
Draft Report and Recommendation on public participation in local affairs and elections (to be examined by the Congress Institutional Committee on 7 October 2005; will be provided after 10 October 2005)
12 Oct 12h28
1 Publications are also available in French unless otherwise indicated.
2 Speeches in the original language (English or French).
3 Publications marked * are also available in Russian.
4 Available in English only.
5 Web address of the PC-S-AV : http://www.coe.int/T/E/Legal_Affairs/Legal_co-operation/Transnational_criminal_justice/3_Assistance_to_victims_%28PC-S-AV%29/Default.asp#TopOfPage
6 Political and social participation of immigrants through consultative bodies, Addendum,
(CDMG (99)21 Addendum
7 La participation politique et sociale des immigrés à travers des mécanismes de consultation, Addendum (CDMG (99)21 Addendum