on National Integrated Strategies on violence against children
In co-operation with the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative on violence against children and the Permanent Mission of Finland to the United Nations, the Council of Europe organised a Panel discussion in Geneva on 9 March 2010 from 13.00 to 15.00 (Palais des Nations, Room XXI).
The objectives of this event were to:
• present the Council of Europe Policy Guidelines on National Integrated Strategies for the protection of children from violence, and the process that has led to their adoption;
• seek individual states’ commitment for the adoption and implementation of such strategies at national level, and review progress in Europe;
• promote the development of similar approaches in other regions in the world;
• suggest ways for a cross-sectoral exchange of experiences between countries and regions with regard to effective methods of protecting children from all forms of violence; and
• discuss follow up to the recommendations included in the UN Study on Violence against Children, in co-operation with the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative on violence against children.
The event - co-chaired by Ms Marta SANTOS PAIS, UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative on Violence against Children and Ms Irma ERTMAN, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of Finland to the Council of Europe, Thematic Co-ordinator on Children, Council of Europe Committee of Ministers - gave the floor to government-appointed focal points on children’s rights, representatives of the European Network of Ombudspersons for Children, international non-governmental organisations and renowned experts. Together, they argued in favour of a holistic approach to violence, presented examples of national good practice and demonstrated the effectiveness of multi-stakeholder approaches that are all indispensable for effective prevention and eradication of all forms of violence against children.
For any further information, please contact:
Ms Marie-Francoise Glatz, Communication Officer
Programme "Building a Europe for and with Children"
Council of Europe
Tel. 33 (0)3 88 41 22 78