Safer Internet Day 2013
05/02/2013: Today is the 10th edition of Safer internet Day, an initiative launched by the European Commission and taken up by the Insafe Network. The Council of Europe is a supporter of this initiative.
To mark this 10th edition, the Council of Europe organised a meeting in Strasbourg with 90 students of the Lycée Pontonniers to discuss with them how to use the Internet safely, taking into account its great advantages for communicating, learning and becoming autonomous, but also the risks. The students could learn about their rights to freedom of expression (in general but also referring to sexuality), access to information, private life and citizen participation, and also about the limits to these rights, including the respect to other individuals´ physical and mental integrity, the protection of the reputation of others and of copyright.
Teaser of the video of the event
Link to the interview announcing the student discussion: Mrs Regina Jensdottir
For information on the Council of Europe's work regarding children and the Internet :
• Link to the Council of Europe file on children and the Internet
• CoE documentary "Keep me Safe"
• CoE online game “Wild Web Woods”
• CoE Handbook on Internet Literacy
• Link to the European Convention on the protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse
• CoE video clip “Freedom to connect”
• CoE video clip on data protection
• Brochure: The Council of Europe and the Internet
Safer Internet Day: the website: http://www.saferinternetday.org/web/guest/home
Council of Europe supporter of SID 2013: http://www.saferinternetday.org/web/council-of-europe/my-home
Insafe website: http://www.saferinternet.org
Eurodig website: http://www.eurodig.org