Purpose: The Council of Europe is looking for candidates with extensive professional experience and profound knowledge of human rights in the armed forces, for the purpose of their involvement as Council of Europe short-term local consultants in the framework of the Project “Strengthening the application of European human rights standards in the armed forces in Armenia” funded by the UK Government’s Conflict, Stability and Security Fund.
Place of delivery of services: Republic of Armenia.
Organisation: Council of Europe, Directorate General of Human Rights and Rule of Law (DG I), Directorate of Human Rights, Human Rights Policy and Cooperation Department, Human Rights National Implementation Division, Project “Strengthening the application of European human rights standards in the armed forces in Armenia”.
Duration of contracts: Short-term and output-based contracts will be awarded in the period between May 2017 and the end of the Project in January 2019.
Call issued: 28 April 2017
Deadline for applications: 14 May 2017
REQUIRED EXPERTISE IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
The call for expression of interest is divided into 3 lots, corresponding to the objectives and the Project’s needs. Bidders are entitled to bid for one, several or all of the following lots:
LOT 1: Expertise in legal drafting, legislative assessment and technique as well as improvement of regulatory framework in the area of human rights in the armed forces.
LOT 2: Expertise in developing institutional capacity of National Preventive Mechanisms, Ombuds Institutions and other institutions in the field of human rights protection in the armed forces, including prevention and investigation of human rights violations, in particular ill-treatment.
LOT 3: Expertise in training delivery (preferably to militaries and legal professionals), development of training courses and educational and awareness raising tools/materials for these audiences, methodology improvement.
The candidates must meet the following criteria:
• University Degree in law, human rights, or another field relevant to the assignment;
• Minimum 5 years of professional experience (3 of which in military sphere) in the relevant field under the specific lot;
• Excellent knowledge of the national and a good knowledge of international legal frameworks in the military sphere, including European and International standards (CoE, OSCE, UN etc.) and best practices;
• Profound knowledge of the current legal and practical (systemic) issues in the armed forces in Armenia and the main strategic directions, policies and conceptions of legislative reforms in the field of the armed forces;
• Sound understanding of the overall politico-military situation and peculiarities of the armed forces, personnel, social and psychological aspects of military service in Armenia;
• Profound knowledge of and experience with the techniques of drafting legal acts and legislative expertise;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
• Good oral and written English with confirmed drafting skills, including military terminology. Knowledge of Russian will be an asset.
FEES, STATUS AND RULES ON AWARD OF CONTRACTS
For each lot, the Council of Europe will select a group of consultants, which will meet the requirements of the present call. One consultant can be selected for one or more lots. Bidders are informed that consultants will be requested to provide deliverables on an “as needed basis”.
The selection procedure consists of shortlisting on the basis of assessment of the candidates’ education, relevant experience and skills in terms of their compliance with the qualification criteria. Candidates may be asked to undergo a written test to verify their English drafting skills. Following this selection, a list of successful candidates will be established.
The candidates placed on the list may be offered short-term consultancy contracts, upon the Project needs and in line with the Rule No. 1333 of 29 June 2011 on the procurement procedures of the Council of Europe and the Council of Europe Instruction No. 59 of 21 December 2007 on consultants’ contracts.
The subsequent choice of consultants from the list is to be made according to the nature of services required and the respective qualifications of the consultants. Placement on the list does not give consultants the right to be awarded a contract by the Council of Europe. This list will be valid until the end of the Project.
The fees will be established depending on the complexity of the output sought and the time needed for producing this output by a qualified consultant. The level of fees depends on the nature of services and the qualification / experience of the consultant, following budget limitations of the Project. The costs of any assignment-related travel will be reimbursed and subsistence expenses paid according to the Council of Europe’s Rules for the reimbursement of persons travelling at the charge of Council of Europe budgets.
The selected candidate will have to make his/her own arrangements for health and social insurance during the entire period of work under such contracts. Their assignment-related travel and stay will be covered by a travel insurance policy taken out by the Council of Europe. The consultants engaged by the Council of Europe have to declare all fees received from the Council of Europe for tax purposes as required in their country of fiscal residence.
Candidates must submit the following documents for each lot in English:
• A motivation letter (up to 1,5 pages maximum), with indication for which lot/lots of the present call a candidate is applying for;
• A detailed CV (up to 5 pages maximum), in English, which must also include a list/references to any previously drafted legal opinions/reports/contributions to expert meetings and/or training activities/coaching visits etc.
• 3 (three) relevant references from previous employers or clients (name, surname, phone number or e-mail).
Applications should be submitted by email to the following address: Haykuhi.Karapetyan@coe.int, indicating “HR in AF Project short-term consultant application” in the subject field. Please do not send any other documents and in particular large attachments.
Only applicants who best meet the criteria indicated in this call will be considered for shortlisting. Public and/or civil servants, whose regular duties as a public and/or civil servant include and/or will be connected to the tasks and objectives of future activities will not be eligible for those assignments. The decision of the CoE to accept or reject an application is final and not subject to appeal.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the Council of Europe Secretariat by email and invited to take a written test referred to above. They will subsequently be notified of the results of the test and whether or not they are part of the pool of consultants of the Project “Strengthening the application of European human rights standards in the armed forces in Armenia”.
Applicants shall not be included in the pool of consultants if they:
• have been sentenced by final judgment on one or more of the following charges: participation in a criminal organisation, corruption, fraud, money laundering;
• have received a judgment with res judicata force, finding an offence that affects their professional integrity or serious professional misconduct;
• do not comply with their obligations as regards payment of social security contributions, taxes and dues, according to the statutory provisions of their country of incorporation, establishment or residence.
By applying to this call for expression of interest, applicants declare that they are not in any of the above-mentioned situations.
The Council of Europe reserves the right to ask bidders, at a later stage, to supply the following supporting documents:
- An extract from the record of convictions or failing that an equivalent document issued by the competent judicial or administrative authority of the country of residence, indicating that the first two of the above listed requirements are met;
- A certificate issued by the competent authority of the country of residence indicating that the third requirement is met.