Strengthening the Application of European Human Rights Standards in the Armed Forces in Armenia
Start date: October, 2016
Duration: 28 months
Budget: EUR 1,000,000
Donor: UK Government’s Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF) and Council of Europe
Partners: Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Armenia, Human Rights Defender’s Office, Military prosecutors, Investigative Committee, Special Investigation Service and civil society organizations.
Contact Persons: Mr Andrey Esin, Project Manager and Mr Armen Grigoryan, Project Officer
The main objective of the Project is to contribute to a better protection of human rights in the armed forces in Armenia. The specific objectives are to improve the national capacity to apply European human rights standards in the armed forces and to improve the prevention, identification, referral and handling of human rights violations in the armed forces, with a particular focus on ill-treatment.
It is expected that as a result of the Project:
- The relevant military legislation will be reviewed and advanced to make it compliant with international and European human rights standards;
- The capacity of the Human Rights and Integrity Building Centre of the MoD to ensure human rights compliance and promote them within the armed forces and the MoD will be enhanced;
- Human rights awareness will be raised among members of the armed forces, and their access to relevant information on European human rights standards will increase;
- The regulatory framework and institutional mechanisms to prevent and address human rights violations in the armed forces will be reviewed and strengthened;
- Prevention of human rights violations and external monitoring of the situation with their observance in the armed forces will improve;
- Effectiveness of investigation and other procedures concerning ill-treatment, non-combat deaths and other serious human rights violations in the armed forces will improve.
- National projects
- Strengthening the Application of European Human Rights Standards in the Armed Forces in Armenia
- Supporting the criminal justice reform and combating ill-treatment and impunity in Armenia
- Strengthening the health care and human rights protection in prisons in Armenia
- Strengthening Integrity and Combatting Corruption in Higher Education in Armenia
- Institutional support to CAA
- Support to the Establishment of Probation Service in Armenia
- Support to Consolidating Local Democracy in Armenia
- Completed projects