Project Against Corruption in Albania
The government of Albania had expressed its commitment to proactively implement the anti-corruption strategy as part of the National Strategy for Development and Integration (NSDI). The adoption of the new Crosscutting Strategy for the Prevention and Fight against Corruption and for Transparent Governance 2008-2013 is clearly a positive development and the strategy itself is very ambitious. The Strategy aims at the progressive and sustainable reduction of corruption, boosting of the institutions’ integrity and promotion of good governance and transparency.
However, the Strategy is a long-term tool which must be implemented correctly to be able to make a positive change in the corruption situation in the country. Therefore effort must be made by the government, supported by the international community, to keep the commitment to actively fight corruption. The Integrated Action Plan for 2009 produced to implement the Crosscutting Strategy is supposed to compile sectorial action plans developed by different institutions. Nevertheless, it is not clear how the implementation of these plans is supposed to be coordinated at national level along the identified priorities.
The Strategy also represents a response of the Government to the GRECO Second Evaluation Round Compliance Report on Albania, adopted in October 2007 . Furthermore, it represents a mean of implementation of the Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA) and of the European Partnership for Albania. Pursuant to Article 4 of the Stabilisation and Association Agreement (SAA), Albania commits itself to continue and foster cooperation and neighbourly relations with the other countries of the region including an appropriate level of mutual concessions concerning the movement of persons, goods, capital and services as well as the development of projects of common interest, notably those related to combating organised crime, corruption, money laundering, illegal migration and trafficking, etc. This commitment constitutes a key factor in the development of the relations and cooperation between the Parties and thus contributes to the regional stability.
Therefore, the technical assistance project aiming at contributing to better implement the measures/ objectives foreseen by above-mentioned strategic documents will serve as a tool for providing and supporting reforms and interventions in the following areas:
- Implementation of anti-corruption policies and strategies (Anti-corruption Strategy and Action Plan 2007-2013);
- Drafting/providing expert opinions and technical support to anti-corruption legislation in line with international standards;
- Promoting the participation of civil society in monitoring of the implementation of anti-corruption initiatives;
- Capacity building of the of the anti-corruption and law enforcement agencies and the judiciary to ensure that they efficiently meet their obligations under applicable laws and apply international best practices;
- Contribute to the prevention of corruption in the education sector by improving transparency, accountability and social participation in the education system;
- Carrying out risk analyses and awareness raising with regard to opportunities of corruption in the education system;
- Providing mechanisms to increase integrity and regulate conflicts of interest with regard to the administration of staff in the education system;
- Developing the anti-corruption education modules for primary and secondary schools.
- EU/CoE Support to Efficiency of Justice
- Fight Against Discrimination Based of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity
- Promoting Human Rights and Minority Protection in South East Europe
- Promoting Freedom of Expression and Information and Freedom of the Media in South-Eastern Europe
- Regional Support for Inclusive Education
- Reinforcing Local and Regional Government Structures in Albania - Phase I
- Project Against Corruption in Albania
- Excecution of ECHR's decisions
- Support to the Training of Court Administrators in Albania
- Data protection within the framework of the civil registry system of Albania
- Support to the Sustainability of the School of Magistrates
- PROSECO Project: Support to Prosecutor's Network in SEE
- Social support institutions throughout the Western Balkans Region