Mandate of the International Advisory Panel (IAP)
1. In light of the existing political crisis in Ukraine, as well as the need to create public confidence in the investigations of the violent incidents which have taken place in Ukraine from 30 November 2013 onwards, Council of Europe Secretary General Jagland has proposed to create an International Advisory Panel (IAP).
2. The investigations will be conducted by the relevant Ukrainian authorities, in accordance with the Ukrainian law. The IAP will oversee that the investigations meet all the requirements of the European Convention on Human Rights and the case law of the European Court of Human Rights. To this end the IAP shall receive regular reports from the Prosecutor General’s office on the progress of the investigations into mentioned incidents. The IAP shall have full access to all relevant information and the right to request and receive any additional information as it deems necessary. The IAP may issue advice and recommendations to relevant instances and bodies. Civil society shall have the right to contact and communicate freely with the IAP.
3. The Panel will be composed of three members: one to be appointed by the authorities, one by the opposition, and one from the international community - who will chair the Panel. All members should be legal professionals rather than politicians, and be widely respected within the Ukrainian society for their high level of professionalism and integrity.
4. At the end of the IAP's mission, a final report should be prepared by the Chair of IAP and presented to the Secretary General of the Council of Europe and the Ukrainian authorities.
5. In view of ensuring the necessary working conditions of the IAP members, the Ukrainian Parliament may provide them with the necessary premises and tools.
6. Financial means for the mission of the IAP international member and his staff will be provided by the Council of Europe.
Sir Nicolas Bratza
IAP Chairman, former President of the European Court of Human Rights
Mr Volodymyr Butkevych
IAP Member, former Judge of the European Court of Human Rights
Mr Oleg Anpilogov
IAP Member, member of Kharkiv Regional Council