Job Family: Linguistics
- Translates documents from one official language or other European languages into the other official language;
- effects quality control of other translations;
- edits originals, written by non-native speakers, of texts;
- contributes to terminological databases and to glossaries.
- Extensive knowledge of source and target languages, with regard to terminology, spelling, syntax and style;
- diploma or extensive professional experience in translation;
- mother tongue as one of the official languages.
- provides simultaneous as well as consecutive interpreting from/into both official languages of the Organisation;
- conveys the content and spirit of the speaker, uses the language most readily understood by the person(s) being served;
- performs background research necessary to the accurate understanding of subject matters.
- Advanced knowledge of source and target language, its terminology and including regional or dialectical varieties; understands typical jargon of specific/specialised work fields (legal, finance, media, medical, etc.);
- confirmed experience interpreting from French into English and English into French for international organisations;
- diploma in interpretation.
- Prepares linguistically and typographically to a high standard (both on paper and on screen) manuscripts of the Council of Europe's publications, ensuring correct style, spelling, syntax, typography and layout; reads and corrects proofs until they are ready for press;
- makes a detailed comparison of the English and French versions of texts to check their correspondence;
- discusses unclear passages with authors, interacts with them as necessary to ensure text accuracy and consistency.
- Excellent command of one of the official languages (mother tongue) in oral and written communication, good knowledge of the other.