How can integration policies implemented by cities contribute to a better inclusion of migrants at national level? The side event organised by the Intercultural Cities Division on “Urban policies for the inclusive integration of migrants” showcased innovative ways of dealing with the challenges and opportunities of human mobility.
Sponsored by MPs Huovinen (Finland) and Santerini (Italy), the side event marked the full-day debate on migration taking place during Parliamentary Assembly session on 28 June, as well as the adoption of a new report by Susanna Huovinen on “Integration of refugees in times of critical pressure: learning from recent experience and examples of best practice”, by presenting examples of intercultural policies implemented by cities involved in the Intercultural Cities programme.
The event seeked to engage PACE members and other participants in a dialogue about how the experience and expertise of cities can help devising policies for inclusive societies, bringing the evidence that diversity can be a source of dynamism and of social and economic development.
Speakers: Ms Susanna Huovinen (MP), Ms Gabriella Battaini-Dragoni (Deputy Secretary General, Council of Europe), Ms Snežana Samardžic Markovic (Director General of Democracy, Council of Europe), Ms Marte Mjøs Persen (Mayor of Bergen), Ms Diana De Marchi (City Councillor, Milan)
- Download the flyer
- Speech by Deputy Secretary General, Council of Europe
- Speech by Ms Marte Mjøs Persen, Mayor of Bergen
- Presentation by Ms Diana De Marchi, City Councillor, Milan (Italy)
- Speech by Gabriella Battaini-Dragoni, Deputy Secretary General, Council of Europe
- Speech by Snežana Samardžic Markovic, Director General of Democracy, Council of Europe
- Speech by Marte Mjøs Persen, Mayor of Bergen
- Speech by Susanna Huovinen (MP)
- Speech by Diana De Marchi, City Councillor, Milan
- Facebook Live Interview with the Mayor of Bergen