Friday, 12:45 – 14:00 Room C1, ITU Tower Thematic Workshop
The Council of Europe is organising a thematic workshop “Challenges and opportunities for journalism online” which will take place during the forthcoming WSIS forum on the 16th June in Geneva.
The workshop will focus primarily on the challenges and opportunities currently faced by news media and journalism as such in the demanding online environment. The debate will cover a number of issues, including:
- addressing potential market failures in the production of the public good of independent, professional, quality journalism;
- securing an efficient and competitive media market place;
- ensuring that citizens develop deeper critical media and information literacy skills necessary to navigate in the information age;
- online journalism: preserving or redefining the role of journalists and other media actors in the online environment;
- fact-checking and accountability in journalism;
- mis- and disinformation disseminated on the internet, filter bubbles and other factors which are driving spread of ”fake news”;
- public access to diversified, pluralistic information.
- Challenges and opportunities for news media and journalism in an increasingly digital, mobile and social media environment - Alessio Cornia, Research Fellow – RISJ, University of Oxford
- Ethical Journalism as an Inspiration for Free Expression - Tom Law, Director of Communications and Campaigns, Ethical Journalism Network
- Challenges and opportunities for online journalism - Fergus Bell, Dig Deeper Media