Review of the Council of Europe conventions
As part of the reform process of the Council of Europe, the Secretary General launched the proposal of taking stock of the situation of Council of Europe’s conventions through a critical review of their relevance, with a view to providing the basis for decisions on follow-up, including measures to increase the visibility and the number of Parties to relevant conventions.
In February 2011, the Committee of Ministers took note of the general approach proposed by the Secretary General to the preparation of a full report on Council of Europe conventions. This report was finalised in May 2012 and transmitted to the Committee of Ministers for examination.
On 10 April 2013, the Committee of Ministers agreed on a series of measures relating to the promotion and management of conventions, the participation of non-member States and reservations to conventions.
The implementation of these measures will be assessed within three years.
- Report by the Secretary General on the review of Council of Europe conventions (16 May 2012).
- Decisions of the Committee of Ministers (1168th meeting – 10 April 2013):
- Review of Council of Europe conventions – Report by the Secretary General.
- Decision on the Financial arrangements for the participation of non-member States in Council of Europe conventions.
- Resolution CM/Res(2015)1 concerning financial arrangements for the participation of non-member States in Council of Europe conventions (1220th meeting - 18 February 2015) replacing Resolution CM/Res(2013)7.