The Council of Europe protects and promotes the human rights of everyone, including children. Based on the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, the European Convention on Human Rights and other legal standards, the Council of Europe promotes and protects the rights of 150 million children in Europe.
Strasbourg 20 September 2016
The Commissioner for Human Rights Nils Muižnieks publishes his latest Human Rights Comment. ...
New York 18 September 2016
On 18 September 2016, in the run-up to the UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants, Secretary General...
Strasbourg 16 August 2016
"The Council of Europe should assist the Turkish authorities to develop effective policies to...
What's going on this Autumn?
Back from the summer break and ready to go! Here are some selected events that the Children’s Rights Division is organising, involved or participating in until the end of the year:
- welcoming participants to the 1st meeting of the Ad Hoc Committee for the Rights of the Child (CAHENF) where implementation of the Children’s Rights Strategy over the next 6 years will be discussed, 28-29 September, Strasbourg
- initiating the elaboration of a HELP Curriculum on Child-friendly justice and children’s rights for legal professionals, 18 October, Strasbourg
- presenting at the Child well-being conference, 21-22 October, Valetta, Malta
- launching the new edition of the Internet Literacy Handbook at the Estonian Committee of Ministers Charimanship event, 4 November, Tallinn, Estonia
- organising with the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe and Wilton Park: a conference on “Protecting Children from Violence: Next Steps for Effective Strategies” (9-11 November)
- raising awareness throughout our member states for the 2nd edition of the European Day on the protection of children against sexual exploitation and sexual abuse on 18 November (this will be the feature of a forthcoming Focus item)
- taking part in the EU Forum on the Rights of the Child, 29-30 November, Brussels, Belgium
- organising a study visit to Interpol in tandem with the 16th meeting of the Lanzarote Committee, 22-25 November, Lyon, France
- Conference on Children's Rights in the Migration Crisis and in the Digital Environment
- 1st meeting of the Council of Europe Committee for the Rights of the Child, 28-29 September 2016
- New questionnaire: protecting children affected by the refugee crisis from sexual exploitation and abuse. Deadline for submission: 15 September 2016